Girl Meets 1961

Emily's POV

The '60s, man. Influential musicians like Bob Dylan and Joan Baez Playing guitars and singing like prophets. The times, they were a-changin'." Mr. Matthews says.

"The class, they are a-sleepin'." Farkle says to Matthews.

"It's not your fault, dad. It's just the stuff you're saying." Riley reassures he father.

"I'm talking about the '60s, man." He replies.

"Nobody cares about when you were our age." I tell him.

"Emily, it was over 50 years ago. How old do you guys think I am?" Mr. Matthews asks us all. I slowly look away, with a grin on my face, not answering him.

"There's no right answer to this, sir." Lucas says. I nod agreeing.

"You should teach us future class." Maya says.

"Listen, dad, you're doing a wonderful job up there and we're very happy that you're all jazzed up- " Riley says.

"But history has nothing to do with us." Maya finished for her.

"I'm gonna snap this chalk now." He tell us.

"Uh-oh." Lucas says.

"Snap." He snaps the chalk. "What did you guys do yesterday?" He asks us.

"I think I had grapes." Riley says.

"Do you know what yesterday was?" He asks.

"Grapes day." Riley says.

"History." I say.

"Correct Emily. Every decision you make every day, every time you decide to turn left instead of right, you make history and you affect someone else's. And if you refuse to learn that, I guarantee you, you guys will not become the best person you can be. Because history is all about missed opportunities. "History has nothing to do with us," wasn't it, Ms. Hart? Can't remember, it was like five minutes ago. Fine. I am not gonna teach you guys about the '60s." He says.

"Yay." Everyone says. But he had to go and ruin it. "You are." He says to us.

"Yay." Farkle says.

"History is alive even if you weren't. But now you're gonna be. You will visit the 1960s and give a report." Matthews says. I sigh.

"Time travel." Farkle says.

"How do we do that, dad? We weren't even there." Riley asks him.

"You were." He tells her. I raise my eyebrows at him.

"How?" I ask him, confused.

"You all have grandparents or great-grandparents. Choose one who was around during that time. Learn all you can about them and report back. Then we'll see if history has nothing to do with us. Living history Now I'm all jazzed up." He tells us all. Great, an assignment where I have to talk to my father. About his family. About my mother. And that's something I don't want to do.

"Yay." Farkle repeats from earlier. My crush on him hasn't stopped. I think it's getting worse. I'm starting to really like him the past couple of weeks. No one knows though. I hope it stays hidden along with other things.

Scene changes to Café Hey. No One's POV 1961

Jazz music playing. Music continues. "You're a new face." A guy says from behind the counter, to a girl, that has never been in that café before.

"So are you, but everything's new to me... the people, the places, the whole happening scene, man." The girl says.

"First time you ever said that, isn't it?" He asks her.