Girl Meets Smackle

Emily's POV

We are in History class. "Ancient Greece--" Mr. Matthews starts but Riley cuts him off.

"What that? What that that?" She asks about the present he has.

"What thi-this?" He asks pointing to the present. "This is a present." He informs her.

"Is it for me?" She asks him.

"What's your game, Matthews?" I ask him. With Maya agreeing.

"Game? I mean no game. I just want to know who here wants this present." He asks. All students raise their hands except Maya and I. Oh, Maya, Emily what? You assume by playing hard to get, I'm gonna give it to you?" He asks us.

"Well, yes. That's one of the many arrows in my quiver." I say. I look at Farkle as he says this.

Farkle shudders."Medieval talk-- What are you doing to me, woman?" He asks me. I smirk at him, then when Mr. Matthews starts talking again, I look at him.

"Riley." He says. He puts the box on her desk.

"Yay!" Riley opens the box and pulls out a small chalk board that said. "The Trojan horse"?" She asks him.

"Surprise." Mr. Matthews says.

"This isn't a present. This is one of your life lessons wrapped up in a class lesson wrapped up in a box of nothing." She exclaims.

"How you doing, honey?" Maya asks her.

"I'ma worked up." She says.

"I know." I say as Riley puts back the frame into the box.

"You assumed because it was all neat and pretty that something good was inside. Ancient Troy was protected by walls. The Greeks couldn't get in, so they built a big wooden horse and left it behind. What do you think the Trojans did?" Mr. Matthews asks.

"They left it there because they were afraid that somebody was trying to teach them something." Riley says.

"They captured it as a trophy and brought it inside. That night, the Greek soldiers crawled out of the horse and defeated Troy. What have we learned here?" Lucas raises his hand from behind me. "Mr. Friar."

"Don't make assumptions based on what you see?" He asks.

"Riley, listen, I'm sorry I made an example of you. So here's a gift for you." He says holding out two cards.

"Ooh-- No! I want to-- No! Pretty ribbon-- No!" Riley says. I look at her in amusement.

"I'll take my chances with that, sir." Lucas says.

"No, Lucas. You have to assume it was no good because the first one was no good. Aren't you all proud of me, dad?" Riley asks.

"No!" He says.

Lucas reads the cards. "Get out of detention free."

"Ooh, I could use one of those." I say.

"Gimme one and Emily the other and we won't call you "Ranger Rick" all week." Maya says with me nodding.

"Here you go." He says and hands them to us.

"Thanks, Ranger Roy." We say in unison.

"Lemme guess. Ranger Roy is filling in for Ranger Rick?" He asks and I smirk.

"All week. And now... you." Maya says to Mr. Matthews.

"Oh, is something gonna happen to me?" He asks.

"Yes, it is." I say then Maya and I stand up and approach the table. "A d-d-d-d, a d-d-d-d" we stand on top of his desk. "a d-d-d-detention. But not today. Boom!" We say in unison. We hold out the cards.