18 ~ Third Test, The Chessboard

Harry had left the broom next to the door as Rose scanned the room. A hallway that was just as dark as everything else. She took out her wand and held it up.

"Lumos" The tip of her wand illuminated in a white light. Harry quickly joined her. His face had some new scraps and dirt but he smiled at her, dismissing her thoughts. With Rose in front, the group entered the next room.

"I don't like this. I don't like this at all." Hermione whispered.

"Where are we?" Harry questioned eying the strange scenery.

"A graveyard?" Rose answered unsure. They reached the centre of the room. The floor was made of a strange coloured marble while large statues stood at the sides.

"This is no graveyard." Ron sighed, seeing it. "It's a chessboard." The torches at the sides lid up illuminating the board. It was indeed a giant chess board.

"Nox" Rose whispered before she lowered her now not glowing wand.

"There's the door. " Harry whispered seeing the door. He tried to make a dash for it but one of the pawns held up its sword. Harry took a step back and the pawn returned to its its position.

"Now what do we do?" Rose asked stepping beside Ron. He turned to her, a sad look on his face.

"It's obvious, isn't it? We've got to play our way across the room. All right. Harry, you take the Bishop's square. Rose, You take the queen's tile and Hermione, you'll be the Queen's side castle. As for me, I'll be a knight." They nodded and separated to their positions. Ron climbed on top of the horse while Rose took the sword that lay on her tile.

"What happens now?" Hermione asked from her position besides Rose.

"Well, white moves first, and then...we play." Ron explained. Rose watched as one of the white pawns moved towards them.

"Ron, you don't suppose this is going to be like...real wizard's chess, do you?" Hermione asked but Ron ignored her.

"You there! D-5!"Ron ordered. Their black pawn moved forwards towards the white pawn. The white pawn raised its sword before it smashed the their pawn. Rose jumped as the pieces of the piece rolled over the board. "Yes, Hermione, I think this is going to be exactly like wizard's chess!" Ron said answering Hermione's question. Rose gulped and looked at Ron. If someone could do this it was Ron.

One by one, pieces were destroyed. Rose, Harry, Hermione and Ron had moved but not by much. Every time a piece was destroyed the friends winched knowing they could be next.

"Castle to E-4!" Ron ordered. The castle pushed thee piece of the board. "Pawn to C-3!" Another one as smashed. The white queen turned to them and smashed their piece. Rose, Harry, Ron and Hermione wince. The Queen turned again. Ron, Rose and Harry study the game.

"Wait a minute." Harry called, seeing what Ron was about to do.

"You understand right, Harry. Once I make my move, the Queen will take me...then you'll be free to check the King." Ron said not taking his eyes of the queen.

"No, Ron! No!" Harry shouted.

"What is it?" Hermione asked, not seeing it.

"He's going to sacrifice himself!" Hermione shook her head. None of them noticing Rose as she was deep in thought.

"No, Ron, you can't! There must be another way!" Hermione shouted at Ron.

"Do you want to stop Snape or not? Harry, it's you that has to go on. I know it. Not me, not Hermione, not Rose, you." Ron explained. Harry nodded but before Ron could even speak a word another voice spoke up.

"Queen to H-3!" Their heads turned to Rose as she walked over to the queen.

"Rose..." Ron spoke seeing her move before he understood what was happening Rose stopped in front of the queen.

"Check." She spoke confidently, her head held high.

"Rose NO!!!!" Ron shouted but it was too late. The queen walked over to Rose and smashed her off the board. Hermione screamed as they watched as Rose flew of the board until she came to a stop next to a large boulder, unconscious.

"ROSE!" Harry shouted just as Hermione was about to run to Rose. Ron quickly spoke up.

"NO! Don't move! Don't forget, we're still playing." Hermione looked at him before she nodded and went back to her spot. "Harry?" Harry looked away from Rose's prone form to Ron. He nodded before he walked diagonally in front of the King.

"Checkmate." The kings sword fell to the found in victory. Harry exhaled before he ran over to Rose. Ron and Hermione were already beside her. He watched her for a moment before he turned to Ron and Hermione.

"Take care of her. Then, go to the Owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. You were right...I have to go on." Ron nodded, invisible tears in his eyes.

"You'll be okay, Harry. You're a great wizard, you really are." Hermione spoke, a crack in her voice. Harry smiled at her.

"Not as good as you." Hermione smiled.

"Me? Books and cleverness? There are more important things. Friendship, and bravery. And Harry, just be careful." Harry nodded before he walked away.

Hermione looked down at Rose before carefully whipping an hair out of her face.

"You stupid girl" Ron whispered. Hermione smiled up at him before sitting up.

"Let's go" Together they holstered Rose up and took her to the surface