Goddamnit

The intercom crackled. “Joelle Robinson to the principal’s office immediately.”

My best friend snickered quietly and I grinned widely at her. “Shut up Ronni.”

“What did you do this time, Joelle?” she responded.

I shrugged. “Not sure.”

I strolled casually down the hallway, taking my time, as I made my way down to the office. Ronni was out behind the school, waiting for me. As soon as I arrived at the principal’s office, I walked in without knocking.

“What’s up, Shapiro?” I threw at the secretary, Ms. Shapiro.

She gave me a stern look. “Mrs. Sanders will be with you shortly, Joelle.”

“No rush.” I grinned, sitting in my regular armchair. After a few minutes, Sanders came out, looking extremely serious – and angry, her usual expression.

“Joelle, into my office. Now.”

I smirked, but followed her into her office, with my hands in my pockets. Once I was inside, seated, and the door was closed, Sanders spoke. “Joelle, I don’t know what it will take to make you stop.”

“What now, Sanders?” I asked, raising my eyebrows and putting my feet up on the table.

“I’m quite sure you know.”

“Stop beating around the bush.” It was ironic how much they tried to straighten me out, yet they let me push them around. And I took advantage of it, as much as I could.

“Okay, Joelle, I’ll get to the point.” Sanders looked at me, angrily. “I have seen the vandalism in the bathroom, and I know it was you, Joelle.”

I snorted. “That? That’s what this is all about?”

Her stern expression didn’t change and I practically laughed out loud. I had written ‘math = Satan’ on the bathroom wall in permanent marker. Sure, I knew I’d maybe get in trouble, but was it such a big deal?

“Joelle, this is enough. Today after school, you have two hours of detention and for the rest of the week the same. Understand?”

I almost laughed, but restrained myself, and nodded.

“Good. Now go back to class.”

I smirked and walked away. I met up with Ronni outside of school and we had a good laugh about Sanders. The bell rang for fourth period and me and Ronni made our way to the mall.

A week later, I was back in Sanders' office, because I hadn't gone to any of my detentions. I could tell this time she was really pissed, but who gives a crap? What was the worst she could do, honestly?I was sitting in my usual armchair, watched by Shapiro. Then Sanders came out, her cheeks red. She looked like a tomato. I wanted to laugh, but I stayed emotionless. Where would this lead?

"Joelle." She said my name sternly. "Get in."

I couldn't help but smirk, then follow her into the office, such a familiar feeling. I sat down in the chair where I felt natural while any other student would be terrified to be in. She looked at me...not disapprovingly as usual, but this time with something more - powerful. Disgust is what it was. That was new. "Joelle, I've had enough with your vandalism, your smart allec responses, you skipping classes. I've had enough." She repeated. I always thought it was lame when adults repeated what they had said a second before. Sanders continued. "You don't change, Joelle. That's another thing. You absolutely refuse to improve. It's enough now. You're causing problems now for the whole school. I'm forced to go to desperate measures. You've brought this on yourself."