Broke

Author's Note -

I'm losing my mind and losing ideas. But for now, I'm still here and I barely have any time for writing, which sucks. I'm actually sitting outside my Science class right now, waiting for my teacher to come and unlock the door.
ANYWAY. Sorry for ranting and sorry for taking so long to upload - God, it's been almost a month! I'm also really sorry that my chapter length is embarrassingly short, but at the moment, it's all I can give you. I promise I'll try and write more! :)
Enjoy, vote, & comment!
xoxo,
Q.

I was parked in a poor and empty area of town. I didn’t even know what town I was in, but I knew I was in a penniless part of it.

I didn’t have enough gas to get back on the highway and I didn’t have enough cash to just be wasting it on gas. I had a few hundred bucks left, carefully stored in my bra, and I was going to save that for food. 

For now, I was living in the truck. My phone’s battery had died and I thought that if I got desperate, I would just go to a public library and plug my phone in there while pretending to read.

 My hair was greasy and I smelled awful. But what could I do? Where was I supposed to shower? I was just grateful I had somewhere to sleep instead of out in the street, like I saw many people out here doing. 

My crackers were gone. I had a pack of licorice and three cans of beer left. I was feeling seriously hungry, when I remembered something.

“Shit!” I yelled out loud, sitting upright. “The fucking credit card!” 

I slapped myself on the forehead. How could I have been so stupid? The damn credit card Trouble had given me, along with the ID! I had money seeping in from a huge expensive company and here I was, eating licorice and beer, worrying that I only had four hundred bucks left. I got into the front of the car and started to drive, praying that I’d find a gas station.

Just when I was about to give up all hope, there it was. The gas station from heaven. I filled up my tank and paid with the credit card, before going into the store.

I looked for a shower. You know how some of those odd gas stations on the highway have showers? I never went into one before, as I never had to, but right now it would be extremely appreciated.

Hardly believing my luck, there was a blue door with the sign ‘Showers’ hanging over it. The scared feeling in my stomach was starting to go away. I could do this. I could manage. I walked in and showered quickly, feeling much cleaner when I walked back out.

I bought a bag of chips and a bottle of coke, deciding that if I was going to drive without even a permit (of course, Amy Calloway had a license, but you know) I shouldn’t drive drunk.

And with that, I got back into my car, and headed out onto the highway.

*

My eyes started to flutter closed and I recognized this as a sign to stop driving. I had passed through ten states in twelve hours. I was making progress. Now in Virginia, I found a cheap motel slash trucker stop, parked the pick-up, and settled in the back with the ratty old blanket and some still reasonably warm fast food I had picked up. Just as I was starting to get comfortable, my phone started to buzz. Glad I had bought a car charger yet feeling guilty that I was spending so much, I scrambled to pick it up.