Fitting In

• Dedicated to Abigayle Clark

The girl who had spoken was a pretty blond girl, with blue eyes and a smile. You'd think the way I described her, she looked ever-so-innocent. But no, she didn't. Her eyes were wicked and her smile made you uncomfortable. 

"Yeah, I'm new." I said, indignantly. "So?"

Another girl laughed. "I like your attitude." she said. She had a raspy voice and thick, dry black hair. She looked tough.

"I'm pretty fond of it myself." I said. She smiled. 

"I'm Dylan." she said.

"Joelle." I replied. Another girl came from the back of the cabin. She looked like the opposite of Dylan: extremely slim and weedy, with a short bob of dark-blond hair. 

"New kid?" that girl asked. Dylan nodded.

"This is Ryan, my twin." Dylan said.

"Your twin? Seriously?" I asked, my eyebrows raised.

There was a soft laugh from the back. I looked for the source. A girl was walking towards us. She had long and wavy dark brown hair, and stunning green eyes that twinkled wickedly.

"I'm Kyla." she said, looking curiously at me.

"Joelle." I said again. She held out her hand and I shook it. She had a firm grip.

"To answer your previous question, yeah, Ryan and Dylan are twins. Fraternal twins."

"Nice." I said, first looking at Kyla and then Ryan and Dylan again.

"And she - " Kyla gestured at the blond girl who had spoken first. " - is Emma-Lynn."

Emma-Lynn smiled her twisted smile again. "Hey."

Kyla sat down and the rest did too. I took the message and sat down as well.

"So whatcha in for?" Emma-Lynn asked. She made it sound like prison.

"Kept getting in trouble at school." I made a face. Kyla laughed. "You?" I asked.

Emma-Lynn sneered. "Parents caught me with my boyfriend."

It took me a second to understand, but then I got it.

Kyla laughed. "Yeah. I'm pretty much in for the same thing as you, Joelle. And Dylan and Ryan's parents just wanted to get rid of them."

Dylan laughed with her raspy voice, and Ryan smiled tiredly. Emma-Lynn moved her attention to Dylan. "When can we go out for a fag?"

Kyla rolled her eyes at me privately.

"They like to smoke, when they can, while the counselors aren't around."

I nodded.

"Do you smoke?" Kyla asked me.

"No, but my best friend did."

"Ah."

There was something about Kyla, something mysterious yet alluring...like a perfume that you can't quite figure out, yet still smells amazing. She was so special...and I felt like I could sense things from her aura.

One thing I definitely felt, and didn’t understand, was the feeling of danger.

I was woken up by a loud ringing. My eyes opened sleepily and I looked at the clock hanging on the wall. It was already 7 AM. Dang. I got out of bed reluctantly and changed into a pair of jeans and a simple black t-shirt that said 'I don't care' on it in white writing. I saw that Kyla was already up and ready, with her dark brown hair tied up in a ponytail. She was dressed in a tight blue long-sleeved shirt and light blue ripped jeans. She had long black Converse, going almost up to her knees.