Criminals

Author's Note -

Yay! Look! I uploaded. :) 
You guys. I HATE when the uploader of a story I like says "I want two-hundred million billion votes till I upload" (I may have over-exaggerated slightly on that number) however is it too horrible to ask that I get five votes before I upload Chapter Twenty-Six? :) 

xoxo

It was quiet after I hung up on Ryan. Dylan was especially silent.

“Should we go back?” I murmured. Trouble snorted, but made no other comment. Emma-Lynn glanced at Dylan and then shook her head firmly.

“It’s too late. We got out and the counselors have probably noticed by now. We can’t go back. Ryan will either stay there or she’ll do the same as us and get her hands on some keys before sneaking out the forest. Joelle, you figured it out. We just have to hope that the counselors don’t set up extra security before Ryan escapes, if she does at all.”

“You’re right.” I finally said. I turned around and looked at Dylan. “Are you okay with this?”

She looked at me, shrugged, and then grinned. “Hey, we’re free, isn’t that the main point?”

I smiled back at her and nodded. “Now let’s call Kyla!”

Emma-Lynn and Dylan responded with “hell yeah”s and I dialed Kyla’s number. It rang a few times until she picked up.

“Hello?” she said a little breathlessly.

“Kyla? Is this a good time?” I asked.

“Joelle! Oh, thank whatever fucking God is still listening to me at this point. You have no idea how glad I am to hear your voice.”

I laughed. “Why? What’s up?”

Her voice lowered. “I swear, Joelle, I love Hayley and Sam with all my heart, but I’m going stir crazy locked up in this apartment. It’s just cry, sleep, eat, and then soil her diaper with Hayley. I’m losing my mind.”

I laughed again. “Sorry, shouldn’t be laughing. But hey! You got yourself pregnant, deal with it.”

She groaned. “Talk about something else, please. Is nothing remotely interesting happening in that hellhole that you can tell me about?”

I grin. “Actually, there is something that might interest you.”
“What’s that?”

“We escaped.”

There was a pause and then she said, “What?”
“We escaped!” I exclaimed. “We’re free! Out on the open road at last.”

Kyla screamed into the phone. “You’re kidding me! You’re kidding me! Oh my God! Where are you headed?”

I glanced at Trouble, who shrugged.

“We don’t know yet.” I told Kyla.

“Come see me!” She cried, almost desperately. “I need a dose of Joelle sarcasm, and Emma-Lynn bitchiness, and Dylan slobbering all over her, and Ryan’s eye-rolling.”

I paused. “Not sure how to tell you this, Ky, but Dylan and Emma-Lynn broke up and Ryan is kind of…still at Parker’s.”

“Wait, what?” Kyla asked. “What do you mean, still at Parker’s?”

I shifted around in my seat guiltily and felt thoroughly glad that Kyla couldn’t see my face.

“We thought she was right behind us and we were in such a hurry that we kind of…forgot.” I winced. Kyla paused on the other line.