That's New

• Dedicated to Celeste Buckingham

"God, I hate my parents." I muttered once I was in the cabin.
"Tell me about it." Emma-Lynn said, scaring the crap out of me.
"OH MY GOD." I put my hand to my heart. "You scared me shitless, Emma-Lynn. When did you come in?"
"Just now." She said, drawing a deep breath from the cigarette.
"And...why are you smoking inside?"
"Cuz all the goddamn counselors are outside and I need something to chill me out." 
"So...not a good meeting with the 'rents?" I asked, out of things to say.
She gave me her ever famous You're such a dumbshit expression and I sighed. "Me neither. I didn't even get a chance to ask about my sister."

Emma-Lynn looked at me interestedly. "I didn't know you have a sister."
I sighed once again. "Yeah, I have a sister. Her name's Kylie. She's nearly fourteen."
"Well, shit. How come she didn't join your Bible-loving parents on visitation day?"
"God, I don't know. She's not exactly the good kid of the family, but in my parents' eyes she is. She just shuts up and follows them to church even though she doesn't believe a word of that brainwashing garbage. She has a boyfriend, and they're going steady or something. She's been dating him for almost a year. She's quieter than me, I guess that's because I'm such a screw-up."
Emma-Lynn looked completely interested. I wasn't exactly expecting that.
"Tell me about her." she asked.
"She's pretty. She's quiet. She's loyal. She loves to read. She loves guitar and singing, and pretty much any kind of music in general."
Emma-Lynn grinned. "Very detailed description."

The door flew open.
"Those goddamn motherfudging sons of bitches!"
I looked up, expecting to see an angry Dylan and instead saw Kyla with a red face and her heels in her hands. 
"Kyla, you okay?" I asked, tentatively. I had never seen her in this weird of a mood.
"No!" she screamed at me and I met her usually twinkling eyes. They were black. Dylan and Ryan followed behind her, Ryan looking tired as usual and Dylan looking nervously at Kyla.
"What happened?" I asked. Emma-Lynn wasn't saying anything. She put out her cigarette and threw the butt out the window.
Kyla didn't answer. She grabbed some of her clothes and changed from Emma-Lynn's slutwear into a pair of jeans and a dark blue American Eagle sweater.
"God, I hope they burn in hell." Kyla yelled again, and then started reciting an extremely long and articulate list of swear words. Emma-Lynn, Dylan, and Ryan were acting as if nothing had happened, but I was completely shocked.

I had never seen Kyla like this. She was a completely different person. She was relentless, saying such things about her parents that I could never imagine thinking of. I never did find out what had happened with her parents.

And suddenly, I realized that Rick Lewis' warning of my roommates wasn't about Emma-Lynn. It was Kyla.