Chapter 31

(I do not take credit for the picture.)

BRANDON TATE

I unlock the hotel penthouse suite and get in, loving the warmth in midst of the Vermont night chill, Honey in my arms sleeping comfortably, with her legs circling my waist and her head pressed into my neck.

She couldn't keep up with the boring fundraiser anymore so I had to call it a night and retreat.

I hear the door click close as I walk, stroking her back and nuzzling the soft skin of her neck. I carry her towards the heated bed and bend to lay her down to which she pulls me with her, not wanting to lose the warm touch.

My needy little princess.

I smile and give a big kiss on her succulent lips "Let me change you sweetheart." as I softly pry her arms away from my neck.

Her lips form into a cute little pout making me kiss her lips once again "I'll hold you in a minute okay baby? Let me just change you." I whisper in her ear making her pout go away.

I smile and walk towards the heated closet and change into my woolen sweat suit and get her favourite soft red woolen pajamas and walk out to find her cuddled up on the bed.

I slowly remove her shoes, jacket, her gown, stockings and lingerie, and change her into her pajamas and socks. I wipe away most of her makeup, and when she starts getting irritated by the cold wipe continuously touching her face, I stop.

I adjust the heating of the room and get inside the covers slinging my arm over her and pulling her to me and enjoy as she pushes her face into my neck and cuddles impossibly closer.

"I love you so much Honey." I kiss her soft chubby cheek and bury my face into her neck and fall into blissful dream land.

I wake up and open my eyes only to find myself tightly hugging a long pillow in my arms instead of Honey.

My smile disappears and I feel a big punch in my gut.

Those were the good days when I wasn't a vampire, my princess was so happy. I was so happy. I was so content. My eyes fall on the digital photo frame on my night stand.

I take it and swallow a big lump in my throat as my eyes go through the slideshow and see picture after picture of my princess. Her smile still lights up my day. God she's so beautiful. So cute. I want her so much.

"Please leave. Please don't visit me again. I'm not ready... I- I don't like you."

My heart breaks all over again.

I feel guilty.
I feel useless.
I feel empty.
I feel lonely.

But I need to get better if I need to be with Honey.

So I get up and walk into the washroom with renowned energy to face the day even when I look like a trainwreck, and get ready for the day.

Smile and heal. Smile and heal.

HONEY TATE

I return home with my cousin Tia, after we've done all the grocery shopping.

"Here you go piccola." Tia says, handing me a box of Snickers. "Please smile now?"

I hold the box of Snickers bars close to me and smile up at her.

She smiles and pinches my cheek "Okay that was fake but I'll take it. You look beautiful when you smile Honey. Please smile more." she pats my cheek and goes on to fill the items into the kitchen shelves.