In Dilemma-III

To be frank, I wasn't prepared for the next attack. But recollecting all the guts, I said "Yes! For the next seven Janams(life's)".

Her father replied in a serious note "Is this just the teenage voice?Do you know what it means for you two to marry? Look at the real world. A Hindu and Muslim girl marry and live happily thereafter. Have you ever heard of such things?"

There was mere silence.

It was again his turn" look! Jamal is an old friend of mine. We studied in the same college. He also has a business relation with me. Few days back and he came to me to ask the hand of Aaeesha and I had given him words. I didn't know about your love stuff by then. But Since I came to know about your relation, I haven't talked to him. I am in a moral crisis about what to do next. But I think I will side with my daughters choice this time."

Again there was mere silence. I was happy, indeed, so much happy? But how could I express it? Anyway, I had to break the silence.

I said, "I don't have so much faith in god but by now I see a god in you father. Thank you so much."

I looked at her face. she was very happy, but she had no words at that time.

Her mother looked at me and asked me a question "so we are sacrificing this much for you two. Now, As you know, you too should do a sacrifice for your love. will you?"

"yes! For sure! Is that a question to be asked?"I was pretty over confident by then.

Her mother added, "you should change your religion to Muslim to marry Aaeesha? Do you agree on this?"

Oh! Is it? I was literally shocked. She had never told me about this.

I was so shocked. What! do I have to change my religion for her? Do I need to change myself, my beliefs and cultures just to get her, marry her and be with her? Is my family going to accept this? what about the society.

I asked in a tone of hesitation and nervousness "Do I need to, seriously? I mean is it ahh..compulsory to change my religion?"

"Won't you boy? Mark my words. Be clear and firm in your answer." Her mother raised her voice.

I simply nodded my head to do accordingly at the time being. I don't think I had any alternative left in my hand. But deep inside, I didn't make out what I did or was about to do! I was indeed in a deep ethical dilemma.