Twenty - Ice Cream

The older Mashiro flicked a small piece of cut beef, sending it flying up high in the air. Everyone's attention was on that falling piece of food; no one spoke a word. A small smirk found its way on his lips before he opened his mouth and caught the beef.

The younger Mashiro could only inwardly roll her eyes at the oh-so familiar trick. She has seen this so many times that she always hoped a strong gust of wind would blow away the food before her brother could catch it.

"Amazing! Amazing! Amazing!!!" Hayakawa bellowed, his eyes wide with merriment.

Kobori smacked the first year's shoulder. "You're being too loud!"

Mashiro Yuki discretely looked at Kise, who wasn't as energetic as he normally is. He was smiling at the scene, thank goodness. His head turned slightly, and he caught her staring at him. She tensed in her seat. He blinked for a second before smiling at her widely, as if he found something more amusing than the meat catching trick of Keiichi.

She tilted her head questioningly. He shook his head before turning back to his half-finished food.

Kise couldn't deny the spike in his heart rate when he realized that Mashiro was already staring at him before he even looked at her. Just the thought of her thinking of him just made him want to jump from his seat and tackle her into a bear hug. But then he remembered their defeat, how he would be unable to play and win with everyone else for their team's next match, and how lame he looked like in front of the girl he likes—he, along with his team, lost the match and now he had to limp around with the help of someone due to his leg injury.

Before he realized it, his plate was already empty. He raised his chopsticks and looked at Keiichi with slightly pleading eyes. "Senpai! Seconds, please!"

The alumnus' face contorted into an expression of disbelief. "I'm only paying for one serving!" he half-replied to Kise and half-announced to the team. Muffled groans were heard less than a second later.

Kise pouted. He really should be minding his diet to keep his figure as a model and athlete, but at the moment he couldn't care less. He just wanted to eat his concerns away, as a co-worker, Kana, does. This idea, however, made him feel like Murasakibara's habits were rubbing off on him.

He slowly stood up, and a stinging sensation shot from his leg. Wincing for a second, he held on to Kasamatsu's chair for support. Their table quieted down for a bit. "I'm going to get some ice cream instead, then!" he announced cheerfully, pointing to the ice cream stall in the park across the street. Without asking for anyone else to come with him, he slowly made his way towards the family restaurant's doors.

Kasamatsu turned to his teammates with a frown of concern, relaying a quiet message to those who wouldn't be dimwitted enough to not get it: "Who's going to help him?"

The female Mashiro immediately grabbed her wallet and stood up, saying, "I want some ice cream, too!" She ran after the team's ace, who was currently having difficulty with walking.

Mashiro Keiichi was about to stand up as well, until Moriyama, who was seated on his left, and Nakamura, who was on his right, grabbed his shoulders and pushed him down, making him sit back on his chair. "Wha—?!" He looked at the two then looked at his sister reaching out to Kise. "I need to come with my beloved Yuki! Let me go!"

"We're looking out for our teammate, senpai," explained Moriyama. "He needs to score once more today. In some girl's heart, that is."

With those words, the ever-so-doting brother turned pale.

***

"Ryouta-kun!" Mashiro called his attention, grabbing his arm gently once she was able to catch up. Her smile was responded by his wide-eyed gaze, Kise's expression a mix of surprise and curiosity. "I'm going with you!"