Twenty-Four - Playing Offense

"Yukicchi~!"

Heads turned to his direction despite them not being the person he just addressed. The girl with the slightly messy silver hair was staring at him with her mouth filled with food, which made him think of an adorable chipmunk. He walked through whispers and muffled fangirl squeals, before taking the vacant seat in front of his Yukicchi. She continued chewing as she stared at him, thought she'd shiftily glance at her classmates, who were watching the two of them as if they were in an incredibly exciting scene in a slice-of-life anime, at least every two seconds. A part of Kise told him that she didn't like being in his presence (like how she avoided him last time), but he threw that painful thought to the back of his mind.

She swallowed, setting her chopsticks on top of her boxed lunch. "What is it, Ryou---" she glanced at her classmates, "---Kise-kun?"

His jaw dropped, the sudden formality pushing him to lean to her closer with a worried look on his face. Why was she pushing him away all of a sudden?! "Did-Did I do something wrong, Yukicchi?!"

He received a quick, almost panicked shake of her head before she leaned closer---his heart just jumped to his throat the second he realized that their faces were mere centimeters apart---and whispered, "I'll explain later," with a small, sheepish smile as her breath brushed against his lips. Blood rushed to his face, prompting him to quickly pull back to his seat to keep his heart and his pretty face from bursting as Yukicchi calmly went back to her former position. 

Mashiro Yuki would definitely be the death of him.

"A-Anyway, what brought you here?" she briefly eyed her classmates again, which made Kise do the same. As usual, he---rather, they were were the object of everyone's attention; he even noticed members of the Kise Ryouta Fan Club staring at the two of them with weird looks on their faces as they tugged on each other's sleeves while covering their lips, their lunches abandoned on their tables. What really caught his attention, however, was the soccer team member (Ogata, is it?) glaring thousands of knives at him. Kise fought the large urge to childishly stick out his tongue to spite his rival in love, so he instead sent the guy the most charming of his smiles, triggering most of the girls in the classroom to erupt into suppressed fangirling. 

Kise - 1; Ogata - 0

He turned back to his target with the same smile. Yukicchi was now staring at him with wide, twinkling eyes, both hands covering the lower half of her face, cheeks flushing, and he could somehow hear her soft high-pitched whirring. The narcissist in Kise told him that his smile just got this dense girl to fall for him, then her revelation on the day the Winter Cup ended flashed in his mind. Ryuumi-nee had given him a crash course on how a fujoshi would think.

Fangirling.

Both hands grabbed onto her arms as he stared into her eyes, his cheeks puffed up and his lips making a pout. "Are you... shipping... me with him right now, Yukicchi?" he asked in a hushed tone, trying hard not to show the disgust in his voice and his expression. He'd actually be happier if she'd ship him with Kurokocchi or Aominecchi instead; he couldn't stand the thought of being paired up with that guy. 

Yukicchi blinked, and dropped her hands to her lap. For a second, she seemed apologetic, but she paused, then stared at him with shock and disbelief in her eyes. Suddenly, she slammed her palms to her desk, making him jump. "...You know what 'shipping' means?!"

He grinned a little, quite satisfied that he remembered that fangirl language. "Y-Yes?"

She looked at him like he was an angel had just descended in front of her.

In spite of being excited at first, the usually certain Kise was now dubious of the look she was giving him.

She quickly placed an octopus hotdog into her mouth, chewed, drank water, and seemed to calm down. As she was about to say something, which he had been anticipating for a few seconds now, she was interrupted by the sound of someone clearing their throat. Both of them turned to look at the owner, who stood an arm's length away from them, and the three other girls who were beside and behind her.