Chapter 2

The familiar smell of well crafted wood filled my lungs as I stepped into the shop. A bell jingled when I opened the door, signaling my presence to the nearest worker.

Her head shot up, a smile playing onto her lips.

"Hi, welcome to Andy's. I'm Amanda, is there anything I can help you with?" She said, her accent very strong. She couldn't be more than my age, a little bit shorter than me. Her blonde hair and hazel colored eyes matched perfectly, her face radiating when she smiled.

"Um, yes please" I said softly, almost a whisper. "Do you have any cajon's?" I asked, moving my sunglasses out of my face and onto the top of my head.

The whole reason I came here was for a cajon. I was so excited, I had been saving since back home. I love the way they look, the way they sound, and my mother wants it for me instead of playing my drums downstairs. She hated the how loud they really were.

The shop was very well placed, guitars hanging down from the ceiling ranging from acoustics to electrics. The counter had an assortment of random guitar picks and capo's. It was really beautiful here.

"Of course" she smiled, "American I'm guessing?" She said, leading me towards the cajon's.

"Yeah, I moved here yesterday" I admitted. "Still trying to get used to the time difference" I chuckled, struggling to keep my eyes open.

She giggled in response, tying her blonde hair out of her face.

"Here they are" she said, "Like I said, my name's Amanda. Ask me if you need anything" she said, nodding before dealing with another customer.

I found interest in a certain one; a Pearl Primero to be exact. I sat on it, feeling a little awkward. It's not common to see a girl play the drums, let alone a cajon.

I debated which song I should play to try it out, settling on a favorite. The best of 'Small Bump' by the one and only Ed Sheeran should do.

The second I hit the cajon, my heart flipped. It sounded amazing. I sang the words softly, trying to keep the beat as best I could.

I leaned how to play a little whole ago at my old school, my music teacher, Mrs. Brown, had one and she let me use it whenever I wanted to. She was the one that gave me my whole interest in music, and I will be forever thankful for that. It's what keeps me sane.

"Might be left with my hair, but you have your mothers -" I sang until a voice snapped me out of my zone.

"That's really good" the voice said behind me, making me jump and nearly fall off of the cajon.

I looked behind me, my heart still beating fast from the near heart attack this stranger had given me.

"Thank you" I said meekly, laying my hand over my heart. "You scared the shit out of me" I said, taking a shaky breath and laughing.

"I'm sorry, I was just looking around and I heard you. It's not often I see a girl playing a cajon" he said, offering me a hand to stand up. I took it reluctantly, standing into my feet slowly.

"I'm Ashton by the way" he said, shaking my hand that he already had in his hand and chuckling.

"Ellie" I said with a small smile, running my fingers through my hair with my other hand.

I bit my lip, taking in his features quickly before it looked like I was staring. He had light brown, almost hazel eyes, dimples on his cheeks. His hair was slightly curly, a light brown as well. His smile was contagious, lighting up his face. His was taller than me, a good 5 inches or so. Undeniably cute, I must say.