Chapter 6

"Peeves!" I saw the poltergeist causing mayham in the trophy room.

"Rosie!" he shouted and practically ran towards me.

I ducked and he fake tripped. It was our thing. We both collapsed on the ground in laughter and heard a unmistakable meow.

"Mrs. Norris!" we both shouted and fled the scene.

Peeves had floated through the ceiling and I had ducked into a room. Snickering, I turned and nearly had a heart attack. All of the Hogwarts teachers were there, along with a giant sleeping three-headed dog.

"Well, um, I'll just be going." I moved to run out the door, but someone had grabbed the back of my shirt at the neck and lifted me into the air.

"Not so fast, Miss Riddle." Snape's voice came from behind me.

I growled and crossed my arms, glaring at everyone in the room. They all stated at me and began discussing in hushed tones. Dumbledore made Hagrid block the door, then Snape set me down.

"Miss Riddle, I was wondering, would you like to help us with something very important?" Albus said.

"Isn't that why I am here? Extra protection, like Hagrid said in the Great Hall." I huffed.

"Yes it is. Smart Girl... Well, this dog-" Albus was cut off by Hagrid.

"His name is Fluffy."

"Yes well Fluffy is guarding the tunnel way to a chamber which holds an important stone. The Sorcerers Stone, made by my friend. Could you stay down there and guard it for us?" Albus smiled.

"Sir, I wouldn't be much use guarding it." I mumbled and played with the long sleeves of my shirt.

"How so, Miss Riddle? You and your brother were top students, surely you can guard a little old door." He edged forward.

"I... It's just... " I covered my face and ran out the door, plowing over Filch.

I ran and ran, thankful the students were in their dorms. Bursting outside, I ran to the Forbidden Forest. Was I allowed in there, no. Did I know my way through the woods, yes. My only problem would be if I encountered anything along the way. That would be an issue.

Running for what felt like miles, I approached the peaceful little alcove that I spent most of my seven years in and stopped. I sat against a tree and looked up to the sky, thinking about my issues.

"I'm a squib. True I can make one or two spells work every now or then, but heck, let's face it... I'm dead. I shouldn't blame Tom. He's innocent, really... Maybe if I had just done something different. Failed my classes maybe? Then he wouldn't see me as a threat. Then I would still have my magic..." I pulled my knees to my chest and rest my forehead against them, uttering blames and such on myself.

It wasn't for a few hours till I realised the forest was too quiet. Way too quiet to be perfectly fine. Standing swiftly, I did the only thing I could think of, I climbed a tree.

"Werewolves are scary, but they can't climb right? Spiders, they are my friends because I helped raise them with Hagrid. Vampires... Can they climb trees?" I sat down in a high branch and watched the forest floor below me.

There was nothing there for several minutes till I saw a figure of black, lurking under the tree I was in. It was a dementor I think... Though I could be wrong, I heard chuckling coming from it and knew I was wrong. Dementors don't talk. This has to be like a person or something... I got lost in my own thought that I didn't see the figure climb beside me until it was too late.

"Hello, sister..."