Try Harder, Dunbar

Aspen checked her phone for the time. 10:00 P.M. And he still wasn't there.

The night before, Aspen and Liam had explained everything to an appalled and excited Mason, who sat with a large grin on his face the whole time. He seemed to take it pretty well, which Aspen was glad for.

"Ma'am," the waitress of the little Italian restaurant on the corner of 6th street said politely, "We'll be closing soon."  Aspen nodded, looking down at the recently sent message to her boyfriend, among many others, to which she got no reply. Yet, here she was, still waiting for Liam to show up for their first date.

Yes, their first date. It was a little ridiculous, considering the two teenagers had been dating for half a year, but a date hadn't really appealed to either of them, especially because neither could muster up the courage to tell Mason or Hayden that maybe they wanted to go on one. Alone.

So the two had decided on the night of the full moon to go on one that Thursday night, at the little Italian restaurant at 6:00.

And he had never shown up.

A part of her wondered if something had happened. If maybe Scott sent out an emergency call or something, but the other part was irritated. She couldn't believe he hadn't bothered to call, or text, or something.

So in those four hours she sat waiting, she switched between those two point of views on the situation. But around 10:20, she gave up. He wasn't coming, and her heart sunk at the realization.

He had ditched her.

Aspen placed a ten dollar bill on the table for the small meal she had eaten and stood from her chair, walking out of the building in the white heels that Lydia had let her borrow.

She stopped at the crosswalk, biting her lip and trying not to cry. It wasn't that big of a deal, but, then again, it was. It was supposed to be their first date. The only break the two could have from all of this Theo stuff, from the supernatural problems. And he hadn't even shown up.

The orange walking man lit up and she started walking across the street to where her red Mazda was parked beside a little alley. But Aspen made the mistake of glancing at the van parked in the alley.

The first thing she noticed was that it was a prison transport van. The second thing she noticed was the blood.

The crimson substance was everywhere. The white hood of the van, the pavement, the brick walls, and it all came from the two bodies lying on the ground at her feet.

Aspen stood there, fearing what had done this, the blood seeping into her no longer white shoes. She couldn't tear her eyes away from the gory slashes on the bodies, only comprehending that there was nothing to be done for these people, and that it was impossible for the gashes to come from a human.

The only thing that woke her from this horrified trance was the slight movement of a hand and the pained moan.

Her breath caught in her throat and she kneeled next to the injured man, checking for a pulse. Once she found one, the man's bloody hands gripped onto her dress, pulling her to his mouth. She gasped, trying to get away, pushing off of the pavement, when she realized he was saying something.

"T-Tracy.. Tracy.."

The Martin fumbled for her phone with shaky hands. Just as she was about to call the police, bright white lights shone in her eyes and she raised a hand to block the light.

Three female figures stepped out of the car and one called out to her. "Aspen?" Lydia called.

"It.. It wasn't me," she stammered, standing up to see the crimson  handprints stained on her white dress, "I-I swear." Lydia nodded to her sister.