I'm Sorry

A/N: FACE CLAIM HAS BEEN CHANGED. DONT FREAK OUT.

The storm raged around the animal clinic, so loud, that Aspen could barely hear Scott's footsteps as he entered, soaking wet from the rain.

"She's getting worse," Aspen told him, Hayden's grimacing beginning to be to much, "I-I think she's dying."

Theo straightened from where he had been kneeling in front of them. "It's gotta be some kind of mercury poisoning.."
Scott sighed, his head dipping down a little.

"Scott," Liam said from his spot across the metal examination table, "If she's a real werewolf, we can save her." Scott looked down at the ground.

"You have to give her the bite, Scott," Aspen demanded. Scott closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath.

"No."

Surprisingly, the first thing that came out of Aspen's mouth was a laugh. One of those insane, scoffing people laughs.

She stood and walked over to Scott, her eyebrows pinched together. "What do you mean, no?"

Scott's eyes softened. "Aspen, look at her. She's too weak." Aspen's head turned for a split second toward her hurt friend. "It'll kill her. We don't even know what the mercury's doing to her, we don't even know it is actually Mercury. This can't be the only way to save her life."

Aspen set her jaw. "It saved Liam's." Scott's face scrunched up in confusion. "That.. That was different. He was hanging off of the ledge.."

"I thought you said you were going to save everyone," she spat, "Everyone, Scott."

"Which is why I'm not gonna do something that I think is going to kill her!" Scott retorted, but that one sentence seemed to take all of the breath he had.

"There has to be.." He stopped, taking in a wheezy breath. "There has to.."

Scott cleared his throat, or tried to at least, and took a step back from her.

"Scott," Theo called, tossing him his inhaler. Scott caught it gratefully, shaking it and squirting it into his mouth, taking in gasps of air afterwards.

Aspen looked at the ground. "You didn't tell me your asthma was back.."

Scott sighed. "We weren't exactly on speaking terms.." His voice trailed away before he nodded. "There's another way to save her."

"Guys," Theo called again, and suddenly Aspen was aware of her best friend heaving on the floor of the animal clinic again. "I don't know what the statistics are for surviving a werewolf bite, but she's definitely not surviving this. We need to do something."

"Someone call Melissa," Aspen said, "Theo, help me get her onto the table."

"I'll call," Liam offered. "No," Aspen said quickly with a harsh tone in her voice. She softened it a little. "Just.. Don't do anything.." She wasn't even looking at him when she spoke. Liam lowered his head, seeing Scott's dark eyes on him.

"I'll call her," Scott told them, walking out of the room with his phone.

Liam watched him go, a weight pressing down on his chest, her voice ringing in his ears.

Don't do anything.

This is your fault.

It's all your fault.

But something inside him stirred, setting a fire in him, and he suddenly knew. He knew it wasn't his fault that Aspen didn't trust him. The trap in the school wasn't his idea. It wasn't his fault.