5: I Hate Driving

The drive from the school to the town and suburban area was about ten minutes, maybe even fifteen in this piece of shit bus. At least there were no cars on this long and forested winding road. I get to drive all over the place.

Only five minutes had passed when I looked up at the large review mirror to look at Steve and Ashley behind me. Steve's legs were laid across the aisle so I guess he was laying down. Ashley was sitting in the fourth seat on the right side. Her head was against the window and her cheeks were wet like she had been crying.

I had to sigh. "You okay, Ash?"

Her head jerked up to look at me and she wiped her eyes quickly. "Im fine."

We were silent for another minute or so before I spoke. "Im sorry about Vanessa. I may not have liked her that much, but she didn't deserve to end up like that."

"She was a bitch." Ashley shook her head. "But she was my best friend...all of the girls on my squad were." She rolled her eyes, getting angry. "Now Im stuck with you idiots."

Are you fucking kidding me? "Idiots? Idiots. You're calling us idiots? Idiots that dragged your ass to this fucking bus because you were paralyzed with fear. Steve was keeping the goddamn door closed while I was getting this fucking thing running. What the hell were you doing?"

I looked up to see her spechless. Her jaw was set and her eyes locked on the window. She had nothing to say. Of course.

"That's what I thought." I nodded. "So next time, think about who is saving your ass instead of being a goddamn bitch."

Steve sat up and rubbed his face while sighing. "Geez guys. Why do you have to fight right now? The world is going to shit right now and we need to stick together. Not turn against each other!"

"She's the one who is ungrateful for getting saved!" I waved a hand and looked at him. "I was trying to be nice by saying sorry for her loss, but she's being a bitch!"

"I lost my bes friend!" Ashley screamed at me, standing up.

"We all lost something!" Steve yelled over us. "So just please calm down and stay-"

Ashley suddenly screamed again, "Max, watch the road!"

I turned my head back to the road. The bus was completely on the other side of the road and there was a semi truck heading right towards us.

Why the fuck is there a semi truck coming down the road?

I swerved us to the other side of the road. We would have been fine, but the back end of the bus wasn't quite on the other side. The semi truck's front hit the back left side of the bus. The force sent us into a 180 degree turn along with the a roll onto the right side. Glass exploded and metal scraped against cement like nails down a chalk board. Things seemed to have gone in slow motion. I was lifted up from my seat, but I was restricted by the seatbelt. My head hit the seat with so much force that it sent me reeling.

I opened my eyes back up when everything went still. The world was on it's side and I was hanging off the side of the chair. I coughed slightly and tried to get myself out of the seatbelt, but the buckle was jammed. My keys are in my pocket. The pocket knife could get me out of this mess.

There was a cough behind me and I craned my neck to see behind me. Ashley was laying on the broken windows. She was still. Steve was on the sides of the seats. He stirred and pushed himself up.

"Yo Stevio!" I called. "Are you okay?"

"Im fucking fantastic." He easily lowered himself between the seats to the windows and knelt next to Ashley.

"She still breathing?" I asked.

Steve put his hand infront of her mouth and waited. "Yeah she's breathing. A bit shallow though." He stood and looked to me, stepping forward slightly. "What about you? Are you okay?"

"Im peachy." I lied. My ribs and shoulder were screaming. "Drag Ashley's ass outta here. She needs more help than I do. I'll meet you outside."

"If you say so." Steve went to the back of the bus. I had to look in the mirror to see him unlatch the back emergency door. He gripped the seat railing, lifted himself up, and kicked the door all the way open. Steve then walked back to Ashley and helped her up by putting her arm around his shoulders and his arm around her waist.

"I'm okay, Steve." Ashley slurred.

Steve scoffed. "Yeah. Sure thing."

Okay. Time for me to get out of my own mess. I pulled myself up a bit to get the knife out of my pocket and then started sawing at the seatbelt. I was about halfway through when something on the road caught my eye. I looked up and there was a person, obviously infected, swaying by the front windshield.

They watched me and I stayed completely still. There was a crash from the back of the bus followed by a curse and Steve exclaiming, "Dammit Ash! When I stay watch your head, watch your damn head!"

The infected person stopped looking at me and started limping towards the back of the bus. I fumbled with the pocket knife whenever I lost sight of the infect. I sawed at the belt furiously.

"Steve!" I shouted. "Steve!"

"Im coming, Max!" He suddenly appeared next to me and helped me down when I was freed from my seatbelt.

Ashley was alone and derranged. An infect was on it's way to her. I shoved him away and grabbed my backpack and bat. "Ashley's in trouble come on-"

Ashley screamed. I stumbled over the broken glass to the back of the bus. I started pulling myself out of the bus and looked around. Ashley was laying on the road, the infect laying ontop of her. She was holding the infect by the arms and tried to push them away while it foamed at the mouth and gnashed it's teeth at her.

I lifted myself out of the emergency door, my leg scraping against the broken window. The pain made me clench my teeth but I still sprinted towards the scuffle. I lifted my bat once I got close and swung, aiming at the infects head. Metal connected with bone and made the same cracking sound as when I hit a good one in the cages. The infect fell limp to the side and stayed there.

Ashley was frozen on the ground, staring at the person's body. I could see what caught her attention. The throat was a crater. There was no way that person could've been alive with their throat ripped out like that.

I held out a hand for Ashley and she took it gratefully to help her stand. "Are you okay, Ash?"

"I am now." She took her eyes off the body and looked to me. "Thanks for that. Maybe it is good to have a stereotypical softball lesbian by you side during an apocalypse."

I grinned for a second, but then remembered that she called me an idiot before the accident. "I thought I was the bumbling idiot."

She sighed. "Max, I-"

Steve walked up. "Hey guys. It's getting cold out here. We should probably keep moving."

I turned my back on Ashley and waved a hand. "Well then let's get moving, shall we?"

Author's Note: Thanks for reading, loves!
-xoxo