26: I Hate The Mall

"You're going on another expedition?" Ashley asked me as I grabbed some snacks and water bottles.

  I checked the ammo in my pistol before putting more in my bag. "I would say this is my first expedition because the last one just involved me walking a few steps passed the barrier."

  "Whatever!" Ashley exlcaimed. "We've hardly been here a day and you're running off onto a suicide mission!"

  Raising an eyebrow, I turned around to see her with her arms crossed and eyes not looking at me. Holstering my pistol, I walked towards her. "Will going with me make you feel better?"

  "No," she shook her head with a sigh. "I just...dont want anything bad happening to you. I just got you back into my life and now you're going off to rescue people and there's going to be zombies out there and I just-"

  I reached for her hands and pulled her closer to me. I put my forehead against hers. "Im going to come back. I promise."

  Ashley nodded, "Im still going to worry."

  Smiling, I kissed her forehead. "I know you are. Just have good vibes about it. I'll be back in no time."

  "You better." Ashley smiled slightly. "I'll have to kick your ass if you get hurt."

  "Good to know you'll patch me up." I leaned in to kiss her gently.

  There was a knock at the door frame and I looked over Ashley's shoulder to see Amelia standing by the door. Her eyes widened slightly and she looked away.

  "Sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt." She ran a hand through her hair. "Thor said I could find you here."

  "And here I am." I said as Ashley stepped away from me, glancing over at Amelia. "Ashley, this is Amelia. Amelia, Ashley."

  "Nice to meet you." Ashley nodded to her with a slight smile.

  "What brings you to my humble abode?" I put everything in my backpack before shouldering it.

  "You saved me back there." Amelia put her hands in her pockets. "So... I've decided that I can trust you with something." She glanced at Ashley then nodded towards the hallway. "Can we talk?"

  "Sure thing." I nodded. I pulled Ashley into one more kiss and whispered. "Don't miss me too much, Ash. I'll see you when I get back."

  As she nodded to me, I grinned at her before walking with Amelia out to the hallway. "So what's up?"

  "I know I cant trust Thor with this because he's an army guy." Amelia spoke quietly as we walked. "Cant trust him with this."

  "Thor is a nice guy." I said, "He took us in."

  Amelia gave me a look. "In the group still in the mall, someone got bit...my brother. He got bit an hour before I left the mall. That's why I left, to find help. If he's still alive..." She swallowed and looked down to take a breath. "If he's still alive when we get there, I want him to be helped. Those army men can't know. They will put a bullet between his eyes as soon as they find out."

  "I dont think they're like that. The hospital is taking care of people who are sick. They care." I interjected.

  We stopped at the elevator and I pressed the button to go down to the lobby. Amelia looked like she didn't believe what I said.

  "Maybe the hospital workers care, but I know the government doesn't."

***

  At 4:05, we loaded into two Humvees that actually worked and started off into the direction of the mall. Thor rallied up some folks consisting of three men and a woman. One man looked like a doctor just in case there were any wounded needing attending to.  Those people and Hawkeye were in the Humvee behind us while Thor, Steve, Amelia, Andrew, and I filled up the first one. Im not exactly sure why Andrew decided to join us on this adventure. He hasn't spoken a word to us since getting into the car and he didn't even look at me.