6: I Hate The Cold

Five minutes into walking and I was already sick of walking. Why did that fucking semi have to ruin our bus? Sure the bus was a big ol clunky mess, but it was better than walking in the cold on an old road where crazy infected people could appear at anytime. Our suburb isn't that far away, so I guess that's a good sign.

"Why did the damn apocalypse have to happen during fall?" Steve complained while shoving his hands deep into his pockets. "Couldn't it be warmer?"

That is true. In fall it gets super cold. By nightfall, it'll be unbearable. Better layer up when we ransack our houses. I looked over to see Ashley shivering. She didn't have a jacket, just her cheer uniform. Must be really cold in that.
Like I should care.

We walked in silence for another minute and I took off my backpack to shrug off my jacket. I held out my jacket to her.

She looked at it then me. "Are you sure?"

"Just fucking take it before I change my mind." I said, shouldering my backpack.

She took the jacket and slipped it on. The jacket was a little big on her. Her hands disappeared as she crossed her arms to keep herself warm. "Thanks, Max."

I just shoved my hands in my jeans pockets and kept walking.

Soon we came to the outskirts of River Brook, our suburb. The rows of little white and tan cookie cutter houses stood silently. The streets were quiet and only inhabited by abandoned cars and litter. Usually it would be quiet around this time with everyone either at school or work. Now it must be quiet due to the virus. Everyone must be holed up in their homes, trying to wait it out.

If anyone is even here.

My house was the first on the left. My mother's car was in the driveway still. She would be at the hospital around this time, wouldn't she?

My pace picked up until I was running to my front door. Steve and Ashley were right behind me, warning me to be careful. My feet hit the porch and I turned the doorknob to let me inside. My house was cold and dark. No TV was on, no vacuum cleaner whirred, and no candle burned. No one could be home.

"Mom?" I called out, bringing me bat at the ready. I crossed the living room to the kitchen. There was a note on the fridge on a blue sticky note and in the swirly handwriting of my mom.

Your dad and I will be back tomorrow night. Pizzas are in the freezer in case you come home from the football game. Love you!

Oh yeah. My parents are out of town. Did they even make it?

"I need to get to my house." Ashley spoke up. "I need to know if my mom is there or not."

"It's on the way to mine." Steve said. "My dad's a big hunter. He has guns that we can use to protect ourselves. We'll make a trek to our houses then meet back here."

Ashley shook her head. "What do you mean 'meet'? Im not going alone!"

"I'll go with her." I sighed, looking to Steve. "We'll go scope out her house, meet you at your house to help carry guns, then come back here."

Ashley gave me a look. "How come your house is home base?"

I took the sticky note off the fridge, waved it at her, then put it in my pocket. "I have the pizza."

***

Ashley's house was down the sidewalk and across the road. One car was in the driveway and the front door was wide open, the glass shattered. A blood trail led from the steps and through the doorway.

I had to stop Ashley from walking infront of me. "Are you sure you want to see whatever is in here?"

She kept her eyes on the blood, her jaw set. "Yes. I need to see what has happened."

Gotta hand it to her for being this calm. If this was me, I would've busted into the house with guns blazing.

I had my bat ready. "Alright...but let me go first. Just in case." Ashley looked like she wanted to disagree, but eventually just nodded.

Nodding back, I opened the door wider. The living room was a mess; the glass coffee table was shattered, the couch tipped over, the lamp that Ashley's mom loved was broken. The blood trailed through the table ruins like someone fell on it and then continued through it to the stairs. The glass crunched under my boots as I moved through the living room. My gaze went to the stairs where blood was smeared on the walls.

"Wait." Ashley said. She went into the kitchen and came back with a knife. "Im ready. Lets go."

Author's Note: Really short and I'm really sorry. I'll post a new one in a few days. Thanks for reading!