25: I Hate Practice

"So you're telling me that the only reason they wanted that duffle bag was for booze?" Steve chuckled as we walked through the lobby. "I mean, I don't blame them. They better share."

"I'll make sure of that." I laughed slightly, pushing open the hotel doors. Cold air met us and I pulled my jacket tighter around me. The clouds above were thick and grey like a storm was brewing up. Hopefully it wont be too bad.

Thor came over to us with his usual smile on his face. "Afternoon! What brings you two outside?"

"I wanted to see where I could help out." Steve said, his shoulders back and chin high like his father taught him. It would've worked out perfectly for him to join the Army if this whole zombie shit hadn't brewed up.

Thor clapped a hand on his shoulder. "Glad you asked. We could always use an extra set of eyes and an extra rifle pointed towards the baddies." He looked to me. "You too? If you're aim is anything like your father's, we'll be in luck."

That made me raise an eyebrow, "My dad? I've never seen him hold a gun in his life."

Thor paused for a second before waving a hand, "I've heard he's a pro at putting an IV in first try! That's showing great aim, right there!" He waved his hand again in a motion to follow him and so we did.

That look on his face still had me suspicious. The look on his face was an oh-shit-I-wasn't-supposed-to-say-that face. He meant shooting. I can tell that. But, where has my father ever picked up a gun? Does this have to do with what Thor wanted to tell me, but couldnt?

Thor led us over to a shack. There, he opened the door to show an armoury of different guns and weapons.

I whistled, "Dayum. Y'all are intense."

He reached in and grabbed two scoped 22s. Handing them to us, he grabbed ammo boxes. "Our highest supply is in 22s so a little bit of target practice using them won't put us too behind." He shut the door with his foot and led us around the hotel to the side. There stood a deer stand looking fort. Hawkeye stood in the box on top, his eye on the scope of what looked like a .30 caliber sniper rifle.

I knew all those video games would come in handy.

"Yo Hawk!" Thor yelled and cawed like a bird. Hawkeye looked down at us before shouldering the gun strap and climbing down. Thor grinned at him, "Go get some food. I'll be here with them for practice."

"Don't mind if I do." Hawkeye nodded before walking away.

"Alrighty." Thor sat the ammo boxes on the steps before turning to us. "Based on the firepower you guys brought, Im guessing you have shot guns before."

"My father served in the army. He was also-" Steve caught himself using past tense. "He's also a a big hunter. Bears and deer and ducks mostly. I went with him every time. We even took Max along with us."

"So little miss prodigy has had prior knowledge of fire power." Thor nodded as he motioned for my gun.

Handing it to him, I rolled my eyes. "Im not a prodigy."

"You're parents are both geniuses" He loaded my gun before handing it back, "Therefore, you are a prodigy."

"No matter how thick sulled." Steve interjected.

I shoved his shoulder with one hand before shouldering the rifle as Thor chuckled at us, "Light em up, girl." He gestured to the box.

I gripped the ladder and climbed up to the box. Sitting in the corner of the box was a pyramid of empty beer cans. On the inside wall were tally marks. 32 to be exact. My eyes went to the street below and it was littered by bodies. Zombie bodies no doubt.