27: I Hate Missions

Steve and I made our way down the escalators. Everyone at the bottom floor was heading towards the fenced area, but I went right for Andrew, who was next to Thor.

  I grabbed his shoulder and turned him around before pushing him. "What in the holy hell was that, man? Thanks for helping me with that horde!"

  "I-Im sorry!" He exclaimed, putting his hand on a table behind him to steady himself. "I panicked!"

  "Your panicking could've gotten me killed!" I yelled, shoving him again. "You have a damn gun! Use it!"

  Suddenly, he brought his pistol up and aimed it at me. I heard guns click around me, pointing at Andrew as I took a step forward. "Go ahead."

  Steve appeared next to me, his rifle pointed at Andrew. "Don't even think about it, man."

  Andrew looked at Steve, then me, then to Thor. Thor was the only one that didn't have his rifle pointed at him. He put his hands up, "Drew, put the gun down."

  "She said for me to use it." Andrew said, his eyes back on me. Slowly, he lowered his gun. "I was just giving her an example."

  I felt a spurt of rage in me and let my fist connect with his cheek. He stumbled back as I clenched my fist, forcing myself to not punch him again. "First you leave me to zombies and then you point a gun at me? Fuck. You."

  I turned and walked toward the fence that Amelia was pressed up against. I stood next to her as she crained her neck to try to look through the little window that led to the back.

  "They would've heard the gunshots and come out." She muttered under her breath. "Rob! Mel!" Her hands shook the fence. "Its me! Amelia!"

  It was quiet for a while. We moved the bodies out of the way as the army guys worked on getting the gate open. Amelia kept her eyes on the window, waiting for movement. Thor was able to get the gate opened a foot just as the back door opened. A woman who looked like an older version of Amelia stepped out with a pistol in her hand. Her eyes stopped on Amelia and she rushed forward.

  "Mom!" Amelia exclaimed as Thor finally got the gate to go up completely. She ran to her mom and they hugged each other tight.

  I almost shed a tear at her mom's face. It was almost like she thought she wouldn't see her daughter again. My mom was casual about seeing me again like she knew I would be okay. Amelia's mom looked like she knew her daughter was dead.

  "Amelia oh my god!" The woman exclaimed and pulled away from her daughter, looking into her eyes and taking every inch of her in. "Im so glad you are alright."

  "You can thank her." Amelia turned her head to me. "Mom, this is Max. Max, this is my mom, Andrea. Max saved my ass from some dead."

  Andrea hugged me tight. "Thank you so much for helping my daughter. And us."

  I smiled at her and nodded. "My pleasure."

  "Are there any injured?" Hawkeye asked as he appeared next to me.

  "My son." Andrea glanced at Amelia before steadying her eyes on Hawkeye. "He has a laceration on his thigh due to jagged glass. The outside of his thigh. We have been keeping pressure on his wound to slow the bleeding, but he's lost a lot of blood."

  Doc stepped forward, "I'll get him stable enough for transport."

  "Thank you." Andrea nodded to him. She let her eyes go back to Amelia, they were darker and full of sadness. "We lost Rob and Gabriel."

  Those words seemed to have an immediate weight on Amelia. She took a step back, her shoulders caving in. "What? How?"

  "The horde went away. They tried to open the gate and scope out the area..." Andrea shook her head. "The gate closed when they left and when they got back, the horde appeared." She put a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Im sorry, dear."