22: I Hate Knocking

Knock. Knock. Knock. I slowly opened my eyes to see sunlight flood in from the crack in the curtains, lighting up the room in a golden glow. I turned my head to see Ashley laying beside me, facing me, and sleeping soundly. The knocking didn't seem to bother her. I smile slightly and move a piece of hair out of her face. Goodness, she looks like an angel...

   Knock. Knock. Knock.

  Rolling my eyes, I gently get out of bed and head over to the bedroom door. Swinging it open, I get ready to give the person in the other end a morning glare. It was Thor. He smiled brightly at me, "Good morning, Max! Are you ready?"

  I rose an eyebrow. "For what?"

  "To help me get the missing duffle bag!" He chirped. "I just thought you would want to since y'all lost it before and you seem like a girl who can handle herself." He gestured to my shoulder. Oh yeah. The stab wound.

  I put a hand up to my shoulder and rubbed slightly, "Yeah. Let me just get dressed and I'll meet you in the lobby."

  He playfully saluted and bounced away. For a buff army dude, he sure was a ray of sunshine in the morning. Like a kid on cocaine. I shut the door and went over to my duffle bag in the corner. I started searching through to find clean jeans when I heard the bed shift. Ashley sat at the end and watched me. She was silent until I lifted my head to look at her, "Something I can help you with, princess?"

  That made her frown and squint at me, "You're a headache."

  "Isn't that why you hang around me?" I pull out clothes and start stripping down. I pull on my jeans and look over again to see her blusing and looking at the floor. A smirk made its way to my face as I continued to change. Same ole flustered Ashley. I finally pull on my leather jacket before walking to the bed to sit as I put on my boots. Ashley stayed silent.

  Sighing, I look over at her. "Ash?"

  She turned her head slightly, still not looking up at me. "Last night..."

  "What about it?"

  Her eyes were finally on mine. "Why?"

  Why? Why. I shrugged slightly, "I thought it would say more than my words ever could."

  Ashley looked me over then smiled slightly. "Im glad you did."

  I leaned over and gave her a soft kiss. My lips tingled slightly as I pulled away and grinned. "We can talk later, okay? I have to go meet Thor to get his hammer- I mean duffle bag back."

  Ashley pulled me into another kiss before whispering, "Please be careful."

  "Of course I will!" I jumped up and gestured to myself, "Its me!"

  She rolled her eyes and stood, "Which is why I'm telling you to be careful." She grabbed something off the nightstand and handed it to me. Shazam's dog tags. "Here. Give these to Thor. I forgot to give it to him yesterday."

  Smiling, I took them in my hand to put them in my pocket before grabbing my pack and pistol. Giving her one last kiss, I walked out of the door to go meet Thor.

*****

  Thor and I just looked over the hood of a car into the familiar, now bloody, alleyway. Bodies were on the ground, but none of them were Blake. That means that he was somewhere around here. What other bodies were hiding from us, ready to sway in to view? 

  "Looks like the baddies have found something else to chase after." Thor climbed up onto the hood and turned to help me up, but I was already up there. He grinned, impressed, and hopped down. "So, where is it?"