17: I Hate Running 2.0

Honestly, I wanted to run the boys over with a truck. The only one from their group I could tolerate was Andrew because he hasn't said a word yet. I didn't exactly hate Chase, he seemed a helluva lot better than his brother. Blake, however, was a different story. Yes, I didn't like him due to the fact that he penetrated my shoulder with a knife. However, it did seem like he really did black out and couldn't remember anything. Doesn't mean I suddenly forgive him for the shanking, but I am also giving him a chance to redeem himself. Ashley didn't seem to fond of that idea, but I understand why. He didn't like her either.

  I told them to stay until morning just so that they wouldn't have to face any of those things during the night. The majority were okay guys and they deserved a chance. Ashley wasn't fond of that idea either, but she would have to deal with it. Like Blake said before, we don't own Walmart.

  "Thanks again for letting us stay over night." Chase said to me as Andrew undid Blake's bindings. "We just needed to get off the road and get some sleep, maybe some food. I'm glad you didn't completely toss us out after Blake went kinda crazy." He rubbed his neck and looked at my shoulder, "How do you feel?"

  I instinctively rubbed my shoulder lightly, "Better. It still hurts, but at least I'm not bleeding out."

  Chase grimaced, "I still can't believe he did that. I'm so sorry."

  I waved a hand, "You don't need to apologize for him. It's something he did, not you."

  Okay, Chase was on my good list. I could tell that he was the youngest of the bunch with a baby face and light eyes. He seemed to have good intentions, but he could also be just hiding his true self.

  Don't be so cynical, Max.

  Blake stood behind his brother. He couldn't meet my eyes. "Are we ready, C?"

  Chase turned his head slightly, "Yeah dude. Give me a second."

  Blake just looked up at me then turned to Andrew to grab the backpacks. He looked almost remorseful and maybe a little bit confused that I helped him even after he stabbed me. Oh well. I'm just glad he's leaving.

  "I'm sorry about us meeting like it this." Chase said with a small smile. "We're nicer than our first impression, trust me." He cleared his throat, "Um, good luck out there, I guess."

  I nodded at him, "Yeah. You too, dude."

  Chase opened his mouth, but instead of his voice, I heard a very loud crash and then someone screaming. Ricky Immediately starting barking, his tail tucking between his legs also. Steve rounded a corner, Blake and Andrew right behind them. Steve started getting things together, "Grab what you can and run! The glass broke! There's a giant ass horde!"

  "They followed us the way here!" Blake yelled as we all grabbed our shit. "We thought they would be okay behind the glass!"

  I paused to look at him, "And you're just now telling us this?!?"

  He glared back at me, "I'm sorry, but we were just a little bit busy!"

  "Shut the fuck up and let's go!" Ashley yelled at us. She pointed her pistol at a zombie that appeared around the corner and shot it in the head. That sober us up pretty quickly and we all took off in the opposite direction. I didn't know how many there were, and I necessarily did not want to find out.

  We ran passed aisles of shoes. Packs hit against my back as I kept running, looking behind me to asses the threat. They were pretty fast movers and a thick herd of them. I mapped out walmart in my head. If we kept going, we would be on the far left side of the building in the produce and food aisles. North was produce, west was the exit. If I led the horde to the fair corner and lost them behind the frozen foods, the others could get to the exit and get the car ready. I think it's a good idea.

  "Listen to me," I said to Steve, "take everyone and go that way." I pointed to our left. "I'll lead the horde around and then make a break to the exit. Get the car ready."

  "No way am I leaving you to do this alone!" Steve yelled at me.

  "I'm coming with." Chase said, slowing down next to me. He nodded to me, "Just lead the way."

  Ashley completely stopped, "Where's Ricky?"

  The barking had stopped. I looked behind us to see the horde surrounded him. He didn't go without a fight, but the horde was too much. They pounced him as he bit the neck of one. Ricky yelped and blood splattered onto the ground like someone had poured a bucket of paint. It mixed with the black blood of the zombies that closed in. I looked away as the horde got distracted by the fresh blood and the sound of Ricky's cries. Ashley screamed and pulled out her gun, aiming it at the first zombie and dropping it. That caused the rest of the horde to remember what they were originally chasing.

  "Go!" I yelled to Steve, pulling out my own pistol and shooting at a few of them to draw attention. Steve threw Ashley over his shoulder, running into an aisle. I started backing up into a different aisle than my friends, Chase following my lead. I saw Steve and the others vanish behind some baby clothes and I then took off running. The horde was right on our heels as we passed yogurt and milk. I swerved around a chip table and made it fall to make an obstacle. Some of them fell, but most just went around. How the hell are they so agile? Aren't zombies supposed to be slow and clumsy? That's how they are on Walking Dead. However, there are different variations of zombies. 

  Fuck.

  "Just make a break for it!" I yelled at Chase as we neared the exit. I threw down everything I could to get them the slow down. Chase ran ahead of me and I zigg-zagged through the produce aisles. I threw a stray cart to knock into a few zombies, making a chain reaction of them falling.

  Strike!

  Chase disappeared behind a corner and I followed. We were in the front entrance and he ran into towards the window that the zombies broke through. He vaulted over and turned to wave my through. I could see the car and I saw Ashley through the opened door. She looked so concerned. However, if I immediately just jump through the window, then the zombies would be right behind me and we will narrowly get away. My eyes went to a line of carts. If I were to pull all of those out then the horde would get distracted by the carts and not be able to follow us.

  Making up my mind, I ran to the carts. Everyone yelled at me, but I kept going. I pulled out two lines of carts just as they crashed into them, pushing the carts and me towards the windows. I jumped up to go over the sill, but my ankle got caught between a cart and the wall. I reached up to grip the sill, careful not to grab any glass, and started to pull at my ankle. Ignoring the pain in my shoulder, I gave my ankle one final tug before getting free. I pulled myself through, but my head was jerked back by my hair. I turned my head as much as I could, keeping balance with my head on the sill. One of them had grabbed my ponytail and didn't look like it was letting go.

  "Come the fuck on!" I yelled, grabbing my ponytail with my free hand to tug back at the relentless thing. "Let go, you fucking body bag!"

  "Max!" Ashley yelled, getting out of the car. She stood by Chase to steady my legs. She pulled out her pistol and shot the zombie. Sadly, the grip did not lessen and the body slowly falling was pulling me back farther. 

  "Son of a fuck!" I yelled and did the one thing I never thought I would have to do. I unsheathed my knife and reached behind me to saw off my ponytail right above the zombie's fingers. I was finally free and was pulled forward by Chase and Ashley. We ran to the car, Chase jumping in before me and then Ashley behind me. She slammed the door behind us and Steve hit the gas, peeling out of the lot.

Author's Note: I am sorry for the death of Ricky. I didn't want to go into too much gore because I feel bad about it, honestly. Vote if you liked, give me a comment if you want. Xoxo