8: I Hate Walls

Light green walls surrounded us. It was a soothing feeling to see those walls again, even in a situation like this. The last time I was in Ashley's room was the ending of the summer between eighth grade and ninth. It was before Ashley knew about my sexuality and before she joined cheerleading. We were just laying in bed, looking up at the ceiling. That's how I told her. I just told her I was gay, and she was okay with it at the time. The next week, her braces came off. The week after that, she told us she was trying for cheerleading when school started. Then next week, she yelled at me in the school hallways and told me that she didn't want to hang out with someone of my 'lifestyle'. And that was it.

  Now I'm back in her room. I'm sitting on the same bed that we always laid in during sleepovers or just hangout sessions. The room hadn't changed a bit. It was still pristine as always. Ashley was in her closet, looking for a dufflebag and getting outdoorsy clothes. She shut the door to her closet because she had to change out of her cheer uniform.

  She hadn't said a word since what happened to her mom back there. I couldn't blame her. Seeing Mrs.Anderson like that...

  What happened to Mr.Anderson? Did he see her like that? Did he get out in time? Is he lurking somewhere?

  My eyes wandered to the opened bedroom door. I could see Mrs.Anderson's bloodstained wedges. Slowly, I stood and made my way to her body. I had to avert my eyes slightly as I bent down to grab the bloody knife next to her. I put the knife on the bathroom shelf and decided that maybe I should cover Mrs.Anderson with something. Maybe move her so Ashley won't have to see her mom like this.

  My eyes swept the bathroom and landed on a bloodstained shower curtain. I put one foot up on the toilet and unhooked the rail from the holder. Stepping down, I slid the curtain off and brought it over to where Mrs.Anderson was, Iaid the curtain on the carpet by her, and pulled her onto it. I tucked the curtain under her and rolled her up like a burrito.

  Maybe not the best way to describe it, but thats exactly how it felt.

  By her feet, I dragged her to the bathtub and sat her in it. That was harder than movies show. My hands were covered in the dark blood.

  Holding my breath, I turned the sink onto its warmest setting and scrubbed my skin until the blood was gone. Movement in the mirror caught my eye and I jumped to the side. There was Ashley.

  She was looking over at the bathtub, then to me. Our eyes locked for split second before she looked away quickly. Her hand pulled the duffel bag strap onto her shoulder. "You ready?"

  I turned around to face her. Instead of her uniform, she wore hiking boots, jeans, a blue flannel, and then my leather jacket.

  I dried my hands off and nodded. "Yeah." I passed her to the hallway and picked up my bat. "Lets meet Steve."

  Ashley opened her mouth to say something, but a yell from outside interrupted her. It sounded like Steve. Both of us took off down the stairs and outside. With our weapons raised, we searched around to find whoever or whatever made the noise. By the curb, was a grey sudan and Steve was leaning against it.

  He smiled when he saw us, "Took you long enough!" He spread his hands a the car. "I couldn't wait so I got everything!"

  "Thanks for scaring us, jackass." I lowered my bat.

  Ashley rolled her eyes. "We thought you were in trouble."

  All he did was shrug. "I was tired of waiting for you guys. Plus, I got some things that I know you'll like." With a big grin, he opened up the door to the sudan and a bark could be heard. Ricky hopped out of the car and raced toward Ashley.

  "Ricky!" She exclaimed and squatted to hug his neck. He licked her face and whined as his tail wagged rapidly. His paws were slightly tinged with red and I didn't want to know how that happened. Ashley smiled at him, patting his head. "Where did you find him?"

  "He was hiding under this thing." Steve patted the sudan. "I call her Wichita. I passed by her on the way to my house. Keys in and everything. My dad's Hummer was missing, so why not use this?" He opened up the trunk to show about three different duffel bags. One was probably clothes, the other supplies, and then guns. Of course his dad would be stocked. "Got this shit. We ready to go?"

  I looked over to Ashley, who was still petting Ricky. She stood and Ricky ran back to hop into the car. He barked, as if telling us to hurry up.

  "We better listen to the dog." I smiled.

Author's Note: Sorry I've been MIA, guys. Shit had gone down and it wasn't good. I'm back now, so I'll be able to do more stuff. Thanks so much for ready. It means a lot to me! Xoxoxo