7: I Hate Small Spaces

Blood was smeared on the cream colored walls like something was having serious trouble getting up the stairs. Bloody footprints stained the carpet and bloody hand prints were on the wooden rail. I was infront of Ashley, ready for anything that we would come up against. My eyes stayed on the top of the stairs and my fingers gripped the bat tighter as we got closer.

  There was a weird banging noise coming from the hallway. It sounded almost like an animal was stuck in a room and was clawing desperately at the door

  Wait. Ashley did have a dog. A German shepard by the name of Ricky. He was always nice to me even with all of his slobber issues.

  Was he the banging coming from the hallway? Or was it some other animalistic being?

  "What is that?" Ashley whispered to me as we got to the top of the stairs.

  I put my shoulder against the corner and looked to my right, down the noisy hallway. Blood led to the second door on the right, which had a blood pool seeping out from underneath. That was the bathroom, if I remembered correctly. The door shook everytime the thing behind it threw itself against the wood.

  Definitely not Ricky.

  "Ashley," I looked to her. "We should just get your things and go. Whatever is behind that door isn't getting out anytime soon. Might as well just leave it be."

  Ashley's eyes stayed on the door. "Max, one of my parents could be behind that door. I need to know what happened here."

  Bad idea alert.

  I couldn't tell her that, however. There were valid feelings behind what she was saying. I would be saying the same thing. So I only nodded. "Okay. Let me open the door. Stay back a bit, okay?"

  She scowled. "I can handle myself."

  "Okay fine. Don't come crying to me."

  She exhaled loudly and stepped infront of me. Her right hand gripped the kitchen knife ad she reached out with the other hand towards the doorknob. The doorknob turned and she pushed it open a bit.

  A hand shot through the small opening and reached around frantically. Ashely dodged the hand and held on tight to the doorknob. Her face turned a shade paler as she stared at the hand infront of her. The hand was bloody, but I could tell that it belonged to a slim woman.

  "Ashley." I warned as the arm pushed at the door. The crack got bigger and a shoulder got through as Ashley's grip loosened. "Ashley!"

  The door was pushed open completely and I pulled Ashley away as a body fell forward. I stood in horror as an infected Courtney Anderson slowly got up off the floor. Black colored blood dripped from her mouth and nose. Her hair was disheveled and messy. Half of her face was like road rash and pretty gruesome.

  She growled and staggered towards us, trapping us in the dead end of the hallway. I pushed Ashley behind me and held my bat infront of me.

  Zombie Anderson then pounced. I rose my bat to try to push her away, but her momentum took me with her. She pushed me against the wall, gnashing her teeth and reaching for me as I pushed the bat into her chest to keep her at a distance. Her strength surprised me as my arms bent and she got closer.

  "Fucking hell!" I yelled and tried to push her more.

  Her hands gripped my shoulders as she pulled herself closer. At this distance, I could smell Mrs.Anderson. She smelled like sick. Not just vomit, but the personification of disease itself. Her eyes were cloudy and bloodshot. They moved frantically like she saw nothing, yet everything at once.

  There was a scream behind Mrs.Anderson and she went stiff. Her force and strength went to a complete stop and I stumbled forward as her body fell to the gound. Ashley stood infront of me, her knife up and the blade covered in the dark blood. Her hand shook so hard that the knife fell as she backed up to the wall.

  "Ashley..." I stepped over the body on the floor and took her by her wrist. "Come on. Let's get your stuff and go." 

  She nodded and allowed me to pull her to her room.

Author's Note: Shorter chapter. I know. I've had trouble focusing and writing. Thanks for reading this, though. I love all of you who supported me in my published author's note. I appreciate it! Xoxo