Chapter 1

Olivia

"What do you mean you're not coming?" Caileigh, my receptionist and closest work friend, yelled as she waved her hands frantically causing me to look up from my computer.

"I mean exactly what I say." I sighed pinching the bridge of my nose, and pushing my reading glasses up. "I have a lot of work to do."

    She crossed her arms and huffed. "But Liv it's my Birthday party." she groaned childishly, and I rolled my eyes at her. "Listen can we talk about this later? When we both aren't on the clock?" I asked seriously, and she pouted.

"You only turn 23 once!" she continued to pester, and I stopped typing. There was no way I would finish this article If she kept going on about this.

    "I know, I too was once 23." I gave her a small smile. She fiddled with her blonde hair sadly, and I suddenly felt bad for denying her invite. "Listen I may swing by later." I gave in.

"Really?" she said excitedly, and I shushed her. "Yes, but not if you don't let me finish this column." I mumbled. Her blue eyes widened and she gave me a curt nod backing out of my office.

    I was the most popular relationship columnist in the city. I knew exactly what made a man stay, what made him leave, and how to avoid both circumstances.

I had never understood the obsession with love like the movies, and over exaggerated romantic gestures, so it was probably very ironic for me to write the subject matter I do. However, even if I was such a serial anti romantic, I did in fact love love.

Love is real there is no denying it. I've been alive long enough to see it. The harsh reality is although love is real, so is heartbreak, so is hurt.

    I have dated my fair share of men in my adult life, none of which I let get too serious. Given one of my most serious relationships began in high school and ended in university.

Since then I've kept a tight grip on my heart, not letting it get too attached, or if anything pretending I don't have one at all. I was content without someone. I had learned that it's okay to love yourself first, and that's exactly what I had spent the last 5 years doing.

    As inspiration hits I began typing, my fingers flying over the keyboard blessing all of our readers with my love advice, and stories, that I anonymously sign with a pseudonym giving it that needed secrecy.

As closing time draws near I find myself clinging to the edge of my desk knowing that if I leave my office Caileigh will corner me, inviting me once again to her birthday party, that I loosely promised her I would attend.

    I tap my fingers on the desk internally scolding myself for being so distant from my friend especially on her birthday. I can't hide behind my work forever, and God knows I need to loosen up.

I sigh running my hands through my thick hair catching a knot or two in the process. I turn off my computer, and grab my belongings and I leave for the day.

***

"I'm so glad you made it!" Caileigh hugs my neck, and I laugh at her over-excitement. 

"You've met my brother Liam right?" she introduces me, and he gives me a warm smile. I shake his hand politely knowing good and well what she's up to.

One of Caileigh's favorite hobbies is introducing me to men in hopes that I will fall head over heels in love and have to thank her for the rest of my life. 

She is sweet for the gesture, but she is wrong in her thoughts about my dating intentions.

After a few moments of small talk with Liam, he notices my disinterest and politely excuses himself much to Caileigh's dismay. 

"Come on Liv, why do you always do that." she groaned and I laugh at her annoyance.

"Do what?" I play dumb just to get on her nerves. "You could have any man you want and you just refuse, why?" she sounded distressed and I sigh.

I shrug and I do my best to close off painful memories of the past trying to silently convince myself that not all men are like Zayn. She rolls her eyes, then says something I cant quite make out.

"Repeat that?" I asked halfway distracted by the bartender, Niall I believe his name is.

"What's your secret?" She asked in a whisper taking me by surprise."What secret?" I chuckled not entirely sure what she meant.

"How do you win over a man's heart?" I set my drink down and stared directly into her eyes."It's simple." I looked away quickly. "Just don't have one."

She laughed, and I joined her just for the sake of laughing. "No really." she asked, and I bit my lip. "You write all these big fancy articles on what makes a guy tick, so I'm asking, what's your secret." I smile at this.

"If I told you then it wouldn't be a secret anymore now would it?" I tease and she groans. "You're impossible." I laugh loudly actually enjoying myself.

"Anything I can get for you two?" the bartender asks and I shake my head declining his offer. 

Caileigh on the other hand has a flashing neon sign over her head that says "wow this guy is cute." She smiles shyly at him, then also declines his offer.

"What are you doing?" I asked elbowing her lightly. 

"I was just following in your footsteps oh wise love guru." she mocked, and I huffed. 

"Don't follow in my footsteps when I'm not interested." I scolded, and she bit her lip.

"Well when are you ever interested? I only see 'how to reject every member of the male population' from you in real life." I give her a sarcastic smile, and subconsciously tell her to watch me.

When blondie comes back our way and repeats his question I take it upon myself to do the hard work. "Anything I can get for you two?" he asks, and Caileigh raises her eyebrows at me curiously.

I smile batting my eyelashes dramatically. "Yeah, your number." I say as smoothly as possible, taking note of the red in Caileigh, and blondie's cheeks. 

"You want my number?" He asks and I giggle. "If I didn't want it I wouldn't have asked."

I watch him struggle with words for a moment before grabbing a pen off of the counter, and scribbling down his number. 

I take the piece of paper and tuck it away in my purse knowing good and well I'm not going to use it.

"First rule of 'not rejecting every member of the male population.'" I tease "Don't ever take it too seriously." 

Caileigh looks at me incredulous shaking her head. "Wasting a perfectly cute guys number, you're evil Olivia Rhea." 

I click my tongue and then dig in my purse, and after finding it hand her the piece of paper. "Happy birthday."