Chapter 3

Olivia

 After my more than embarrassing encounter with "Tommo the tech guy" I was less than excited to be at work bright and early on Monday morning. 

"Hey Liv." Caileigh tapped lightly on my door, and I looked up from my computer and the article I was writing. "Yes?" I questioned and she gave me a nervous smile. "The boss wants to see you."

I rolled my eyes. Alright I'll be right there. She fiddled with her fingers, and I gave her a confused look. "He seemed really upset Liv." she said quietly. I sighed knowing good and well why he wanted to talk to me.

Lately the relationship columns I had been writing were slowly becoming bitter, it wasn't on purpose, but I clearly had been taking my ability to write them anonymously for granted.

I wrote about other things, but I took pride in those columns, I was ready to fight Harry Styles if he even tried to tell me to change them.

I left the comfort of my office, passing Caileigh's desk, and walking down the long hallway to Harry's office. I internally screamed in annoyance as I reached his door, and I longed for a golden name plate outside of my door as well.

I knocked three times, just like he had informed us at one of the staff meetings. He was slightly Obsessive compulsive, and liked everything a certain way, even the way we contact him via door knocks.

"Come in." I heard his deep raspy voice from the other side, and I turned the knob noticing my hands shaking slightly. Harry and I had a good relationship, I considered us friends, even though he was my boss.

"You wanted to see me?" I asked taking a seat in the small chair in front of his desk. He intertwined his fingers and placed his hands on his desk looking at me almost as if I had stolen a cookie out of the jar. 

"Olivia, Olivia, Olivia." He repeated my name three times, and for once I was a bit afraid of him.

"Yes?" I asked suddenly feeling very small. He sighed running his hands through his curls. "You've got to lighten up." he said suddenly, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. 

"For what?" I asked relaxed feeling more like a friend than an employee again.

He raised an eyebrow and then abruptly placed a folder in front of me. "This is why." he stated in a bored tone. I cringed at the thick folder knowing exactly what it was. Emails. 

Whenever the magazine customers were upset, they emailed to complain.

Normally it isn't such a big deal, I mean people are going to complain right? I sighed taking the folder in my hands. "Reply to all of them." he said sternly, and I bit my tongue. 

"Maybe everyone else needs to realize that I'm not going to please everyone with my articles." I said as respectfully as I could.

He gave me a small smile. "Liv, your columns are wonderful, you have fantastic advice, women love that stuff, but recently I've read them, my wife has read them, and where's the hope, the romance?"

I rolled my eyes. "It's there, obviously." I said stubbornly. 

"Listen I know you're all about being the woman in charge, and being independent, but one of your main assignments is to right about falling in love, and staying in love. I didn't hire you to write about how men love you and leave you alright?"

I sighed. So much for using my anonymous alter ego to express things to the world. "Look you've probably had some relationship troubles, haven't we all?" he started, and I already began to tune him out.