Chapter 17

Olivia

"Quit fidgeting, I'm trying to work my magic." Caileigh scolded me as she ran her flatiron through my hair.

The alumni get together slash new student welcome party was tonight, and I had mixed emotions about the whole ordeal.

I had spent the majority of the afternoon at Caileigh's apartment, I stalled watching her get ready, while barely even attempting to get dressed.

Then she yelled that I was going to make us late, and I finally gave in slipping into my dress of choice, a champagne red color I was sure Louis would like.

"Niall said he would be here in ten minutes, and I barely have half of your hair done." She continued to complain, while I slowly applied a thin amount of eyeliner.

"You didn't have to straighten it you know, it would have looked fine if I pinned it back like I usually do." I snapped reaching for my trusty red lipstick.

"No, you have to look absolutely breathtaking." She giggled, and I rolled my eyes. "I always look good, what do you mean?" I teased, and she smacked the back of my head.

"Easy, I'm putting on lipstick here." I barked. She huffed, continuing to straighten my hair.

"Wow Liv, you look like a completely different human being!"

I stared at myself in the mirror impressed. "Well done, I might give you a raise." I giggled, and she flipped me off.

There were three quick knocks on her front door, and she practically sprinted away to go answer it.

I walked into the living room, anxious to see Louis, I hadn't heard from him all day.

"Look at my girl, she's a total babe, everyone is going to be jealous." Niall leaned in to kiss an extremely flushed Caileigh.

The attire was dressy casual, and Niall looked adorable in his grey sports jacket, and blue polo, the same color as Cail's dress.

"Looking good Horan!" I called from the living room, and he gave me a once over.

He whistled. "Olivia, Olivia, Olivia." He pulled a Harry saying my name three times. "Tommo's going to have trouble keeping his hands to himself, isn't that right?"

Niall and his contagious grin turned in the doorway, and Louis smiled back.

His hair was pushed back, still messy but it was off of his forehead. I gave him a soft smile, and I pretended not to notice his eyes start at my feet and slowly make their way up.

"Sexy." He said finally, and I rolled my eyes. "No beautiful? Impeccably gorgeous? Lovely?" I walked towards him and jabbed my finger at his chest, and he took a hold of my hand, kissing the top of it.

"All of the above." his voice was low, and I smiled. "Alright, you two coming?" I looked over, and Niall was wiggling his eyebrows.

Louis smirked, holding my hand, and the four of us were on our way.

***

Ranging from professors, incoming students, and college alumni the venue was packed. 

"Caileigh!" I heard a male voice calling for my friend, and I turned to see Liam looking very business-like.

"My brother!" she threw her arms around him, and he squeezed her tightly. "Niall, how are you!" Liam was doing very well with his schmoozing voice tonight.

"Liam Payne." He stuck his hand out to Louis who shook it. "Louis Tomlinson, you can call me Tommo." Liam nodded. "Nice to meet you Tommo."

He turned to me reaching out his hand, "I know we've met, but it's nice to see you Olivia." I smiled, and gently shook his hand as well.

"Make yourselves at home, mingle, have a drink or two, socialize, just have fun!" Liam instructed us before slipping away, and moving on to another group of people.

"Wow, who put red bull in his coffee?" I giggled, and Caileigh rolled her eyes. "He's probably been practicing that speech in the mirror for weeks."

The four of us walked around, picking at the food, and talking amongst ourselves. Every so often someone Louis and Niall knew from university would approach us and converse.

"Harry!" I yelled excitedly seeing my boss making his way over to us. I beamed from head to toe when I saw his wife was accompanying him.

I loved Harry's wife. She was one of those friends you could go a long time without talking to, but could always pick up right where you left off.

"Olivia Rhea!" I was met with Rosalyn's charismatic smile, and huge pregnant belly. "Rosalyn Styles." I grinned as we hugged, a side hug that is.

"How are you, how's the magazine, how's the love life?" She spit off random questions.

"I'm great, the magazine is stressful, the love life is—" I paused glancing over at Louis who was making his way towards me.

"Developing." I finished, and her eyes seemed to ignite.

Rosalyn Styles was a firecracker. She was never wrong, she was the queen of getting her way, but most of all she was a sucker for some good gossip.

"Harry, sweetheart would you go fetch your happily pregnant wife a plate of food." she nudged his shoulder, and he nodded leaving the two of us.

"Hey I didn't know what punch flavor you wanted, so I got both. I'll drink the one you don't like." Louis smiled shyly holding up two beverages and I giggled.

Rosalyn squinted her eyes, no doubt judging Louis from head to toe. I grabbed the darker of the two punches taking a sip.

"Not bad Rhea, not bad at all." She clicked her tongue, then looked at me as if Louis wasn't standing right there.

"First date?" she raised her eyebrows and I looked at my shoes awkwardly.

"Boyfriend," Louis proclaimed proudly.

Rosalyn had known me a long time, ever since I started working with her husband. Her eyes said everything that she was thinking.

"You tied her down?" She teased, while continuing to look between Louis and I. "I'll never be able to tie her down completely." Louis sounded nervous, careful with his words.

"Has he met Carol?" She whispered loud enough for both of us to hear. Louis nodded slowly and I bit my lip.

"She likes him," I chuckled and she put her hand over her heart dramatically.

"Well Mr. Perfect, where's your Achilles heel, your weak point, fatal flaw?" She eyed him up and down again. He shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other.

Then suddenly he froze. Rosalyn looked at me, but I was following his line of sight.

Right over Rosalyn's left shoulder I found what made him lose focus. An auburn haired, small framed, beautiful girl.

She was looking directly at us, well Louis, and I knew exactly who she was.

"Holly." He breathed.