Chapter 9

Olivia

"I was going to propose to her." I heard the pain in his voice as we looked up at the stars. He was right, they were front and center tonight.

"I never really thought anything was wrong. Truly I believed that everything was going great, since you know I wanted to marry her and all."

He spoke so calmly, but I wondered if he felt as broken on the inside as I did when I talked about Zayn.

"My family loved her, everyone loved her, I loved her." he sighed, and I felt bad for him, I truly did.

He had told me many things, but nothing that really made sense in regards of why they weren't together.

If anything, if you didn't know they were no longer in a relationship, it didn't sound like they had a reason to break up at all.

She wasn't athletic, I had gotten that part wrong, and she was a red head, I was somewhat ashamed of my guessing skills being so inaccurate.

He said that they met in the library on campus, go figure. Also surprisingly enough she had asked him out, which made me laugh considering how persistent he is.

"I had never really done the whole dating thing before Holly." he admitted and I nodded. "So you just slept around?" I asked figuring that was the other option.

I felt his eyes on me, and I glanced over at him. He was giving me a pretty serious look, and I asked why, not expecting the answer he gave me at all.

"No, I never dated anyone before her, at all." He seemed embarrassed by this fact.

I had to admit this surprised me, he was good looking, charismatic, and honestly a total catch, but I would never say that out loud.

"Oh." was all I could say, but the age old question in my head was still eating away at me.

"So what happened?" I asked lazily, the stars were putting me in an almost dreamy state of mind.

"You two sounded perfect for each other." I stated. There was a moment of silence, and I honestly thought he wasn't going to say anything .

Then he spoke. "I broke up with her." He didn't elaborate, and he sounded curt. I knew that tone of voice.

That wasn't the entire truth, and there were a lot of missing pieces to that story. I also knew, that if he wanted to tell me he would.

"I understand." I said softly and I heard him sigh loudly. "I figured you would."

We sat in a comfortable silence for awhile, my mind was clear now that I knew about Holly, not sure why, but it brought me some strange sort of peace. Even if I didn't know all the details.

"Who hurt you Olivia?" he asked suddenly, and it threw me off guard. I wanted to tell him, I wanted to cry into his shoulder as I remembered everything that happened between me and Zayn.

But I didn't. Instead, I turned so that I was on my side facing him, and he did the same.

"I'll tell you when you're older." I whispered. He smiled, but it wasn't just a friendly everyday smile.

It was a real one. One that made his eyes crinkle in the corners. One that showed off a small dimple in his left cheek I hadn't noticed before.

Louis and I stayed up to an ungodly hour talking about random things. I had learned that his favorite color was red, and other random pointless facts about him.