Chapter 2

****TIME SKIP to a week before the incident****

Birthdays: A time of joy at the celebration of life.

Rain turned fourteen today....but it was hardly a celebration.

The family had moved to a religious village just outside of the famous mountain range. The village consisted of roughly seventy people, and everyone knew everybody. The village was also highly isolated with one road in, and one road out.

Sarah and Sahara were both immediately against it. It was too contrast of their Florida apartment. But they had little choice in the matter.

And to top off the forced move, everyone there quickly learned that the twins and Rain were born out of wedlock. The religious villagers deemed them sinful and whenever the siblings passed someone, they would receive dirty looks, and children were ushered away from them as though they were death itself.

The only sanctuary offered was a quiet field about a halftime west of the village, at the base of the mountains edge. No one seemed to come here, and even fewer knew of its existence.

You see, the village was run by a group of four Elders, and they made decisions for everyone. They were so influential that no one questioned their decisions. And they could talk, reason, and guilt anyone to their way of thinking.

Mother and Father were immediately for being so religious and confessing to the sin of their 'mistakes' almost as soon as they parked the car. The elders wanted the twins and Rain to confess as well for being "Sinful Fruit."

Of course, Sarah and Sahara didn't see the reason to confess to anything because they haven't done anything wrong. Well...the confessed to the mistakes they've done, like breaking dishes, and that one window. But they refused to confess to being "Sinful Fruits", and Rain simply followed their lead. Much to their parents horror, and the elders dark amusement.

And thus began the torment...

"I'm sick of this!" Rain shouted at the sky, while sitting in "their" field, having lunch while calming down from their now daily dose of humiliation from the other villagers. "I'm sick of being treated like a parasite."

"We are too, Rain" The twins said simultaneously, sighing.

"We are working through it." Sahara said in that gentle way of hers, her fingers running through his hair affectionately.

"Four more weeks and Sahara and I'll be eighteen, and headed for collage, we're taking you with us. And we'll just stay with friends until we have enough money to get our own place." Sarah said as she but into a sandwich. "I already arranged us to stay at Sophia's." She grinned.

~But that day would never come~

~Sarah's POV~

I was royally pissed at our mom and dad.

They were to busy building up their reputation in this God forsaken town that they'd forgotten their own son's birthday.

What kind of parents do that?!

I swallowed my anger, not wanting to taint our time alone with it. The constant glares and whispers were starting to get to all of us. It was nice to have some time alone with each other without having one if the Elder's sycophants judging us from afar.

I sighed and layed my head on Rains lap, and he responded by automatically playing with my hair. I sighed and relaxed further.

Sahara had always been more protective of Rain, he that the thunderstorm to her desert, I always joked. And deserts get brutal without their rain.

Seeing him getting picked on and disregarded by everyone in that damn village had been hell for me and my other half.

And where are our parents?

To busy basking in all the attention and telling the story of their "troubled past" with us.

What crap.

Their both in they're thirties, grow the fuck up and move on.

I honestly don't know why Sahara keeps us from just running away. We own them nothing, and they prefer to pretend we don't exist anyway.

I'm tired...I just want this silly farce to end...

A cold, piecing chill stabs its way up my spin.

I sit up quickly with a gasp. Sahara and Rain's faces go start white as they huddle together.

I swear under my breath as I notice that the sun has gone behind the mountains. We've stayed out too long...

~ Night is when the monsters come out~

To be continued..