Chapter 10

* * *
Marrisa's P.O.V. (It's getting real people)
* * *

How dare they, After everything I've done to keep this town stable. How dare they!

After they punished, they locked me in a solitary fasting room where they chained me to the center of the large, elegant room. The six chains straining at my waste and arms keep me secured to the floor. I ground my teeth as rage burned inside me.

How dare they... how dare they...how dare they... how dare they...

I repeat that notion again and again in my head even as I feel blood trickling down my chin.

"Yeah, I heard the parents agreed a few hours ago. Those sinful fruits will be gone by tomorrow evening."

My head jerked up when I heard of that damn family. This is all their fault, not just those cursed fruits, but the parents as well, How dare they!?

They did this, this is their fault, how dare they, How Dare They!?

"Hello, Elder Marrisa." A sweet, young voice carried through the room.

Looking up, I allow myself to smile a bit. "Hello child, how is your day going?"

"It is going very well," The young girl said shyly, kneeling in front of the imprisoned Elder. "I brought you some food." She whispered after checking over her shoulder.

I laughed quietly as I quickly gulped down the offered bread and water. "God bless you child." I whispered, "How old are you?"

"I'm currently twelve." The young girl blushed prettily, "My birthday is next month today."

"Is that so child?" I said softly, knowing how shy this girl is. "Can I ask you to do me a favor sweet girl."

"Of course elder, what can I do?" She replies immediately replys after looking over her shoulder.

And so I gave her the message to give to the young couple and their sinful fruits:

It has come to our attention that ever since you five have come here, strange and sinister things have been happening. Maybe it's because it took you so long to find your way, but a darkness seems to have attached itself to you. To the four elders, this is understandable and forgiven. But to those who've experienced the loss of a loved one, this will not be so easily forgiven. So, for your safety and purity, we humbly ask that you sometime after you've completed your final deed. May God be with you and your three fruits, and we wish you a safe, pure, and long life.

P.S. You are to destroy this message after you read it. You are also to not speak of it to anyone, even if it's another Elder. As fast as we're concerned, this letter doesn't exist. 

-The Four Elders.

The young girl hid the letter in her skirts and quickly, but silently, made her way out of the room.

I let out a sigh, and bowed my head.

I wasn't going to survive long enough to leave this place. The fasting I'd survive, but not the mind-wiping.

I may have been the youngest of the four elders, but I was still an older woman, I wasn't a middle aged any more. I knew that, expected it.

I'd survive the fasting, but in doing so, I wouldn't have enough will or energy to survive the final purification step.

I blew out another breath, and forced myself into a dreamlike state. One I wouldn't wake up from.

* * *
Narrator's P.O.V./ Day of the incident.
* * *

Mother and Father were strangely silent the next morning. Everything seemed to make them jumpy, their eyes skittering back and forth.

Mother seemed crushed about something, looking so fragile that Sahara almost mentioned it, but something stopped her.

The entire family sat down at the table to eat their usual breakfast in an awkward silence.

No one spoke, no one attempted. But the three siblings did exchange many questioning looks between each other.

The silence stretched out...

Then the door bell chimed.

"Sarah," Her mother said quietly. "Could you get the door please?"

"Yes, mother." Sarah said just as softly, sensing her mother's vulnerability at the current moment.

Sarah went to the door to see who was here, while evaluating err none else stayed at the table.

Rain's phone glowed green for a split sending me from its place on his Lao. But Rain ignored it for now, not wanting to break the fragile peace.

"Oh, hello." Sarah said cheekily. "Can I help you?"

Everyone jerked up when they heard Sarah's voice, the strained as they tried to hear the feminine mumbles that came from outside.

"O-oh, sure," Sarah stuttered. "Come on in, we're having breakfast."

That quickly, everyone perked up and stricken up a random conversation. Rain and Father started talking about the stock market. Mother and Sahara stated talking about cooking ideas.

The conversation halted when Sarah came in with a pretty young girl with glossy hair and big, bright eyes.

"Ah, you're the girl that works in the purification tower." Father spoke up, relaxing a bit. L

The family hadn't been here long, they had yet to learn of the horrors that took place in the tower.

She blushed slightly at being recognized. "Yes, I've brought a message from the council, it's addressed to all of you." She said clearly, her eyes caste downward.

"O-oh..." Mother stuttered, shaking slightly. "Is that so?"

"Hmm." The girl murdered as she pulled out the letter and handed it to Father, said her good-byes, and left as quietly as she arrived.

"What does it say?" Sahara said softly, all of them looking at the envelope as though it might grow fangs and bite them.

Hesitantly, father opened up the envelope and pulled out the letter and began to read.

After he finished, both mother and father had strickened looks on their faces.

"Deed?" Rain spoke up. "What's the deed?"

"They probably ment praying sweety." Mother spoke up, and reached over with a trembling hand to grab the letter from father to re-read it.

And again....And again.

The words didn't change.

"Kids, go pack up now. We're leaving." Father said gruffly after exchanging a withered look with mother.

The siblings ran to their rooms with renewed anticipation.

They were finally leaving.

--------------------------

YAY!!! Two chapters in one day.

However it is late here and my kindled about to die, so good night everyone. Please, don't forget to star and comment ;)

Stay creepy my friends.