Chapter 8

* * * *
The Night Before the Incident (we're almost there people!)
* * * *

"What the hell is going on around here!?" Elder Gurtrid exclaimed a week after she'd spoken to the two parents who'd sinned before they were joined properly.

"You don't think the devil had arisen to tempt us away from the righteous path?" Elder George spat harshly, his stance tense with frustration and exhaustion.

All four of the Elders stood over -another- dead body belonging to a young women.

Her face frozen in a horrified, pleading expression. Her body wore remnants of clothes that had been ripped off her in a frenzy before her body had been seemingly used, violated, and finally broken. Her chest had a literal bitemark that had sliced through her flesh, leaving a hole where her heart should be. And, just like with the other corpses, her body was blanketed with white roses dyed red with blood.

Elder Marissa, looking a little green, bent down and gently shut the young women's eyes. "What's the body count now?"

Elder Simon replied, his face remorseful. "Twenty-four, eleven men and thirteen women dead. Currently, another woman has gone missing, she's been gone for two hours. If the killer is sticking to his regular routine, her body will appear in one more hour."

Marissa shook her head, tears sliding down her face. "It's been three days...And already twenty-four, soon to be twenty-five of our children is dead. We've prayed, we've search, we've tracked, and still, we can't save these children who've placed their faith and trust in us." She stood up and faced the three people she called her brothers and sister. "We need help, we have to call the police-"

The sound of a hand meeting flesh echoed through the room, and there was a tense silence as Marissa stood there with her head snapped to the side. And angry red mark already appearing on her cheek.

Her eyes were wide as she reached up to cup her cheek and moved her head back in front of her to see George standing there with a furious expression.

George's voice, when it came, was thick with fury. "Those whom put thy trust in the Lord have no need to fear." He quoted from their holy writings. "You've disgraced yourself Marissa. Your doubts have empowered this demon. These children's blood is on your hands!" He shouted righteously.

Marissa couldn't believe what she was hearing. The brother whom she'd grown up with, had just blamed her for the death of these people. She looked at Simon and Gurtrid, and saw no argument in their expressions, only recognition.

"Y-You guys can't be serious." She whispered, her voice pale with disbelief. "I love all of our children. How could you possibly even think that?"

"Oh please, Marissa." Gurtrid hissed sweetly, her body posture mocking. "God has told us you would betray us. It was only a matter of time."

"It's a good thing we've prepared for this." Simon said harshly.

"What?" Marissa sputtered in disbelief. This couldn't be happening.

"Stop pretending, Marissa." A new voice spoke up. A feminine harshness spitting through the air.

Swiveling around, Marissa found herself facing a woman she'd always held in high esteem...All the more horrifying when her regal face came out of the shadow with a stern expression on a head that Philace held high.

Behind her was two men, tall, stiff, and utterly loyal to Philace.

Philace was a teacher, the historian, and advisor for all the Elders. Most of the time, the Elders followed Philace's lead. She was their holy leader you could say. And she was as cold as she was religious.

"Philace," Marissa pled, "You can't honestly believe I would hurt anyone. I gave my word I would be peaceful, a true holy profit. Why would I risk destroying everything I've obtained?"

Please, please, someone has to believe me, please oh God. Marissa prayed silently.

"Marissa." Philace said sternly. "Most people who commit sins have no awareness they've done so until they've seen the light."

"What did I do!?" Marissa exclaimed, grabbing the long robes that they all wore, causing Philace to mearly look down uninterested at the distraught woman at her feet.

"You failed your God, by depending on another." George spoke up.

"You suggested we bring in someone from the outside." Gurtrid spat.

"We don't bring people in, under any circumstances. They have to come to us." Simon crawled in that calm way of his.

"People are dying!" Marissa shouted, not seeing until now how stubborn they were when it came to their village. "We need enforcement, we need help-"

"Then we pray for God to have mercy on us all." Philace said softly as she raised her hand, and the two men who stood by Philace's side stepped forward and seized Marissa.

"What are you doing?! How dare you!? You can't do this!" Marissa struggled as she was led away to the purification building. Which was a huge tower that stood in the middle of the town. It was beautiful and glittered like jewels...

But what went on inside was as horrifying as the outside was elegant.

Inside the building was where sinners were purified, and that usually involved a "holy beating". Until you confessed everyone of your sins, after which you'll be chained in a bright sunny room and be forced to fast (Where you go for an amount of time (going to weeks) without food or water) for three days.

If you survive the forced fasting, it will be deemed that God has forgiven you and you will move on to the final step of purification.

A violation so deep, that all those who make it back out alive are forever broken, never again quite right.

To finish the purification, you are brought to a room that's lit from the floor, coating the room in a gentle blue glow. In the middle of the room was one iron bed with four straps evenly on the top. Once the flailing body is properly strapped down, they will be hooked up to multiple machines. With tubes put in their nose and mouth to ensure they keep breathing, they would be forced to consume medicine that would make them limp, numb.

Then, by ways that would surely seem impossible, certain parts of their memory is wiped. They know their name, but not who they are. They know where they are, but not why. They know who their families and friends are, but they no longer harbor feelings towards them. They will randomly convulse into seizures and panic attacks. They will have night terrors and hallucinations of monsters.

Their paranoia becomes so harsh, that most take their life after the first or second month after being released. Which is not that bad, considering only three out of ten people make it out if the purification building alive.

So it's understandable that the families in this little village start paying for the funerals as soon as their family members are condemned to purification.

To be continued......

--------------------------------

Whoooo!!! Two in a day!!! Let's try to get one more yeah?