5. rats on a train

haley's p.o.v.

today in the lab, adam, bree, and chase are going to begin their next phase in their training, which  is handling different types of climates. mr. davenport said that leo and i would be able to watch today, and we were pretty excited.

"alright guys. the next phase of your training is handling extreme climates. so we'll frost chase, bake bree, and submerge adam. that's not part of the training. i just got one of those carnival dunk tanks and i can't wait to try it out." mr. davenport said excitedly.

adam patted chase on his shoulder as chase went over to his capsule.

"okay chase, i'm setting your capsule on 'antarctic.' if it gets to be too much, just give me a signal." mr. davenport said to chase when he got in his capsule.

"bring it." chase said with a grin. mr. davenport pressed a button on the control panel, and the training for chase began. i heard leo sigh beside me.

"hey, that's not fair! i want to be abused by weather." leo whined.

"leo, if you really want to be abused, try standing over here next to adam's morning breath." bree said.

"i don't have morning breath! it smells like that all day." adam quickly defended. bree and i shuddered in disgust.

"leo, these guys are genetically engineered to handle these kind of climates. you're not." davenport said to him.

"i can handle extreme cold." leo tried to convince him, but i scoffed.

"leo, you get a brain freeze from chewing mint gum." i said to him.

leo glared at me while the others nodded their heads in agreement. when mr. davenport's phone started ringing, he pulled it out of his pocket and answered it quickly.

"davenport.... what?!.... well, that's terrible!" he spoke as he started pacing around the room. we all started to follow him because we were all curious about what was going on.

"i mean, that's awesome, but that's terrible! i gotta do something." he hung up the phone, but he still didn't tell us what was going on.

"what's going on? what's so terrible?" adam asked.

"well, i created the world's fastest train, but now it's speeding out of control full of highly explosive nuclonium towards downtown welkerville!" mr. davenport said.

"well, then what was awesome?" bree asked, as if reading my mind.

"it's going like 400 miles an hour." mr. davenport said excitedly.

"woah!" we all said because that's freaking fast!!

"my entire career is riding or perhaps crashing on this train! i don't understand it! my design was flawless!" mr. davenport said panicking.

"so flawless you forgot to include an emergency brake?" i asked.

"no! i never counted on the conductor dropping his papaya smoothie all over the controls and then jumping off the train." mr. davenport said to me.

"well if I were to build a high-speed train, the first thing i would have put in was a cup holder. oh! and one of those bumper stickers on the back that says 'i brake for cows.'" adam told us. we all looked at him funny.

"when stuff like this happens, they always blame the scientist. this is human error. scientists don't make mistakes!" mr. davenport said.

then we heard knocking behind us. we all turned around and saw chase frozen in his capsule. i started laughing because it was actually pretty funny.