19. concert in a can

Haley's P.O.V.

It had been a few weeks since the whole invisibility cloak thing. When my parents got home, my parents found out about my detention and I got grounded for two weeks. Thankfully, it ended yesterday, and I have never been happier. Leo and I were walking back from class when we heard a loud guitar playing in the middle of the hallway. I looked over and saw Adam and Chase standing next to some boy I've never seen before, who was playing the guitar. He sounded really good.

"Hey peeps. What's the dealio?" Leo asked when we walked over to them.

"Hi, I'm Marcus." The boy who was with Adam and Chase introduced himself.

"I know. We have gym together. And study hall. And also chemistry." Leo said to him, but Marcus didn't seem to remember him, "We're lab partners!"

"Oh, I did not know that!" Marcus said to him. When he looked over at me, a small smile grew on his face. I felt my face begin to flush up and my insides began to flutter. I immediately wanted to kick myself in the face because I'm not the type of girl to have crushes on boys. I've never even had a boyfriend.

"What's your name?" Marcus asked me as he walked over to me.

"Haley." I introduced myself with a small smile on my face.

"I'm Marcus." He introduced himself as he shook my hand. He laughed and then remembered, "Even though I just told you that."

I laughed lightly and then said, "It's fine. Really. It's nice to meet you."

"Oh boy." I heard Leo say next to me.

Marcus gave him a confused look before asking, "Chase, have you ever played guitar?"

"No, but I've always wanted to." Chase told him.

"I'm a jammer as well." Leo chipped in, "My rocking is only eclipsed by my rolling."

We all gave him weird looks before turning back over to Chase. He said to Leo, "Haley said you played the clarinet for three weeks until you swallowed the reed."

"You told them about that?!" He asked me.

"How could I not?" I asked him as I started to laugh at the memories.

"I passed it!" Leo defended himself.

"Chase, do you want to give it a go?" Marcus asked him.

"Sure, I'd love to." Chase said.

I sat down on the bench, and Marcus scooted down to sit next to me. We smiled at each other before looking back over at Chase. Chase stood there for a second before he started to play the guitar like a professional. He began to roll around on the floor as he played. I had to lift my feet up before he hit them. Even though I knew Chase probably just downloaded an app so he would sound good, I still thought he played great. When I looked over at Marcus, his eyes were wide in amazement and his jaw was on the floor. Once Chase was done, he had realized what he did and stood up quickly.

"What do you know? Beginners luck!" Chase said quickly as he handed the guitar back to Marcus.

"Well, Leo and I have to get to class. I'll see you guys at lunch." I said to the three of them.

"You sit with them at lunch?" Marcus asked me.

"Yeah, I do." I said to him.

"Cool, looks like I'll see you there too. They invited me to sit with them." He said to me, and I couldn't stop the smile from growing on my face. He was just so cute.

God, I really wanted to puke at myself.

"Cool. I guess I'll see you later." I said to him. He smiled at me again before we went our separate ways.