20. mission: space

Haley's P.O.V.

It has been a few weeks since Marcus moved to Mission Creek. The two of us have been spending a lot of time together. It was very obvious to everyone that we liked each other, even to Leo who hated the idea. He still had this grudge over Marcus, which made me a little confused because I thought Marcus apologized to Leo about everything. When I asked Marcus about it, he just told me that he thought things were alright between them, but I guess Leo didn't feel the same way.

Marcus and I walked into school together that day. We've been walking together a lot, but the two of us never really had the chance to actually go out and do something together. It was the only time where we could really hang out and talk to each other. When Marcus and I walked in, we saw Adam, Bree, Chase, and Leo all standing near the stairs. When they saw us, Adam, Bree, and Chase shouted, "M-Dog!"

They all came over to embrace him while Leo just gave them all weird looks. They all pulled out of their hug, and I just gave them a look and said, "Yay! Haley's here too!"

Adam walked over to me. He picked me up and spun me around in the air. I laughed as he set me down on the ground. Before I could say anything, he looked at me and said, "Man, I'm a little dizzy."

"Wait! Hold the phone! Hold the phone!" Leo said as he walked over to Adam, Bree, and Chase, "M-Dog?"

"Yeah, bros call each other by nicknames." Chase said to him. It's a good thing I never planned on calling him 'M-Dog' in my entire life.

"Well, I'm your actual bro, and you don't even call me by a nickname." Leo pointed out.

"Actually we do. We just choose not to do it in your presence." Adam said to him as he placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Mr. Tiny Mclittlestein." I muttered underneath my breath and all of us started laughing except for Leo. Adam reached over and we did our small handshake we made up last week. It was pretty awesome.

Chase walked over and asked Marcus, "Hey, what are you up to this weekend?"

"My dad's out of town so I'm going to be stuck home alone with my grandma." Marcus groaned at us.

"Aha!" Leo said out of nowhere, "You said your grandma was dead."

Marcus gave him a look before getting upset and saying, "The other grandma, but thanks for reminding me."

We all gave Leo looks while Bree slapped him on the arm. Leo was never going to give up on this whole Marcus thing.

"I wish I could stay with you guys for the weekend." Marcus said to Adam, Bree, and Chase.

"And I wish you weren't a spastic sociopath with abandonment issues." Leo said to him as he got in his face. I gave him another look as Marcus raised his eyebrow at him.

"Leo, give it a rest." I said to him as I moved past Marcus and stood next to my best friend.

"Princess, no of us, not even you, are safe until the FBI responds to my request for a full background check on this M-Dog!" Leo said to me and Marcus gave him another look.

I looked over at Chase and saw him looking at me. I gave him a pleading look to get Leo off of Marcus's back, and he sighed in annoyance at his stepbrother before saying, "Look Marcus, I'm sure you can stay with us. I'll just have to check with Mr. Davenport."

"You call your dad, Mr. Davenport?" Marcus asked him.

"Uh... no. No! But you do, and I wanted to make sure you knew who I was talking about." Chase said to him as Adam popped a big bubble with his gum.

Marcus looked at him awkwardly before saying, "Okay. Cool! Thanks guys."

Marcus touched my arm lightly and gave me a small smile before having to get to his first class. As he walked away, I could feel Leo's eyes on me.