7. smart and smarter

haley's p.o.v.

after the whole exoskeleton and rose thing happened, she ended up staying at the davenports' house for about a week, which actually surprised me because she usually stays longer. it was very hard to hide the fact that adam, bree, and chase had bionics. sometimes they would let things slip without meaning to. all of those times were mostly adam.

the day after rose left town, i had decided to walk with bree and adam to school. leo and chase came to school early to come pick up the progress reports, which i thought was pretty weird. what's the rush?

"check out my locker!" adam said as bree and i walked over to it. he opened it, and once he did, a strong unpleasant smell came out of his locker. my hand flew up to my nose as i looked inside his locker. he had christmas lights hanging up, and a bunch of old food piled at the bottom of his locker.

"here's where i keep my books. down here is where i keep the strands of hair i find to make fake mustaches." he said as he took out a big clump of all the hair he's collected, and he put it up above his lip. bree and i both gave him a disgusted look.

"and down here is where i pile all of my old lunches, or as i like to call it, my tum tum yum yums!" adam said proudly. i am honestly very surprised i haven't puked yet. thankfully, leo walked over and that got bree and i away from his locker.

"hey leo!" bree greeted. leo gave her a small smile, and looked down at the paper he was holding, which i'm guessing was his progress report.

"is that the paper that gets you grounded after every semester?" i asked him with a smirk, and he gave me a look.

"yes. i can't believe my science teacher says i'm always late to class!" he said, and we all gave him a weird look.

"well, you're always late to class." adam said to him.

"i know, but i don't need to have it publicized." leo pointed out.

"look at this!" chase yelled in my ear, giving me a heart attack as he ran up, "an a-?! i knew my home ec teacher had it out for me! always criticizing my muffins." he said angrily as he shook his head.

"haha! i beat you! i got a d+! plus because i'm better!" adam said to him.

"no, the plus is for-" bree started to explain, but i cut her off.

"you know, it's just not worth it anymore!" i told her. she stared at me for a moment, and nodded in agreement.

"a d is not a good grade. we don't really expect you to get good grades." chase pointed out as we laughed and adam glared. chase looked frustrated again, "i can't believe i'm engineered to be the smartest person on the planet, and i just got an a-! i've been relegated to huddled-unwashed puddles of minuses! like you!"

he sighed, and made his way over to the bench near us. he sat down and bree sat down on the other side and placed her hand on his shoulder.

"chase, i know this must be hard for you, but look at the bright side! seeing you fall flat on your face is really fun for us!" bree pointed out, and leo and i nodded in agreement.

"i don't understand why you're so upset about this. an a- minus isn't even that bad of a grade.

"yeah, for you it's not! i'm sure you're used to a-'s." chase said to me, and i gave him a look.

"don't make me pull out my home ec grade! i got a higher grade than you did." i said, pulling out my progress report.

"WHAT?!" chase shouted as he shot up from the bench and took my progress report of out my hands.