A Funeral To Attend (14)

ELSA'S POV*

Anna's home. But she's quiet. Sometimes I catch her stroking her flat stomach and sobbing quietly, then she'll hug herself and cry.

She said that when Alex left the hospital he said he didn't like me and was going to Iana.

That made my eyes water.

"What made him say that?" I whispered.

"I asked him, if I died, if he would look after you. Obviously, he didn't like that." She smiled bitterly.

I hugged her and we both sobbed.

Both for entirely different reasons.

One for the child that will never be.

One for the love that never was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Alex's funeral today. It's a drizzly Monday, Alex would hate it. But he's not here, so that doesn't matter.

This is definitely the last time I open up to someone.

I put on a black dress that went to my knees and covered my arms and black stockings. I put black stilettos on my feet and black eyeshadow and eyeliner. I wore dark red lipstick and a small black hat with a bunch of curled ribbons and a small veil covering my eyes. I had to wear gloves. Otherwise it would be more like ice funeral instead of a nice funeral.

I didn't dare put mascara on. Not even waterproof mascara.

Anna wore a black dress like mine, but with a cloak over top and black boots that went to her knees. Instead of a hat like mine she wore a simple black cloth that covered the top of her head. I asked if she wanted me to do her make up but she shook her head.

"It's a funeral Els. I'm going to cry. You know how emotional I get." She whispered. I nodded my head as we hugged.

"I'll call Kristoff to pick us up." I mumbled, reaching for my phone.

Anna sighed and nodded.

This funeral is going to hurt me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched as the coffin that held Alex was lowered in the ground.
Anna was a sniffling mess and had her head buried in Kristoff's shoulder.

I'd only known him for a few weeks, yet it feels like I've known him all my life. So far I made through the service without crying.

I kept a sad face as I heard the thud of the coffin hitting cold hard ground.

A man picked up a shovel and moved toward the dirt pile. No his shovel held a small mountain of dirt. He walked to the gaping hole in the ground.

It was as if everything was in slow-motion.

The shovel tilted and the dirt fell.
On top of the coffin.

On top of Alex.

That's, that's when I cried.

Merida held my hand, sniffling herself.

I couldn't take it anymore.

I stood up and left the ceremony.

I had trouble running so I took off my heels and ran on the wet grass.

I ran and ran.

I couldn't take it anymore. The death, the baby that Anna will never have, I needed someone to talk to.

"Jack? If you can hear me, I'm sorry! I'm sorry I rejected you all those years ago. I'm sorry I left you. I'm sorry for falling for another person!" I shouted to the wind. Oh what's the use. I put a hand to my forehead and cried, I fell onto my hands and knees.