New soul

DAMON’S POV

I hadn’t forgotten the beauty of her. I wondered it love could possibly do anything worse to me than it already had. Was I even capable of it anymore?

I did love Katherine. She was really important to me until... And then Elena. But Alexandra was different.

I didn’t want to be the cause of her destruction. Guilt wasn’t love. Regret wasn’t love either. They also weren't strong enough emotions to make me want to sacrifice myself to save her.

I knew she was interesting when I met her, I just didn’t know how interesting.

In front of me was a mirror. There was even a hanging tree before it, decorated with strips of cloth too numerous to count. As I watched, the cloth changed, taking on different colors and shimmering like Christmas tree tinsel.

„Purgatory, nothing else could look like this. Creepy world.“ I murmured.

Before stepping forward, I glanced behind me, thinking it couldn’t be this easy to get in.

I turned my attention to what was in front of me. That was where I needed to go. There was an explosion of a cold light in the mirror that gave me the creepy image of myself. Blinking, my eyes traveled down and what I saw in front of me shocked me to my very core.

I was staring at myself.

My other self was grinning a familiar, cocky smile and I definitely wasn’t smiling. While I stood there, speechless and staring at myself, my mirror image laughed.

„Yep, this is gonna be as easy as I thought.“

***

„Are we there yet?“

„No.“

„Are you sure you know where it is?“ I asked Nybbas for the millionth time.

„Honey, I live here longer than you could imagine.“ Nybbas said and I could feel him smiling. „Nervous?“

„No.“ I said as confidently as possible under the circumstances.

„You’re a bad liar.“ he said, still smiling. „The worst I’ve ever seen.“

I put my hands on my hips and communicated a silent Excuse me?!

His body tensed.

„What’s wrong? Did you hear something?“ I froze.

„Someone is here. Someone new. I can feel it.“

It took me a moment to realize what is he talking about. „Who? Another monster?“

„You could say that. I have to go.“

„Where? Who is it? I want to go with you.“

He smiled and then said. „Stay here.“

„Where is he?“ Klaus asked totally confused and I completely forgot that h e was there with us.

Great! You came here to save him and now you don’t even know that he is standing right next to you?!

„He disappeared. He just... vanished!“ I said angry. „Well, it doesn’t matter dad, we have to find that stupid mirror so we can go back.“

„What mirror?“

„You didn’t see it? When you... came here? The big mirror that shows you your real soul?“

He was staring at me without words and he looked scary bad.

„Dad? Are you OK?“ I whispered.

„My.. .my real soul?“

„You saw it?“

He slowly nodded. „I didn’t know that is was...“

„What did you see?“

He shook his head with no answer.

„It’s okay, you don’t have tell me.“

---------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think Klaus and Damon saw in the mirror? What do you think their souls look like?