16. Cult Chatter.

Percy was on guard instantly, Jason's words highlighting what the feeling he'd felt since leaving the beach actually was. He'd felt uncomfortable as he walked, but he had dismissed it as the aftermath of reconciling with his father for the first time. In reality, he was unnerved because that feeling of eyes on the back of his head was a familiar one, one that had earned its familiarity through war and carnage, peace and quiet. He had always had eyes on him, eyes watching to see if he would lead or fail. Gods, fellow campers, Chaos, and his companions.

"I feel the same," he confessed, looking around warily as his hands went to his pockets. "I just thought I was too on edge."

"I don't think a lighter and a Swiss army knife are going to be much help." Jason frowned, eyeing the objects in his hands with curiosity.

"We literally just discussed Riptide, which is usually a pen." Percy pointed out. "And you've got your coin that can either be a spear or sword."

"What are they then?" Jason asked, fascinated and distracted from their potential problem.

"Both swords." Percy demonstrated by clicking the lighter and flicking open the knife attachment to reveal twin swords.

"I want a pair." Jason declared in a heartbeat.

"Like them?" Percy asked, wiggling them in his direction in an attempt to show them off like a child would with their favourite toy. To be fair, it was a fairly accurate comparison. He did like to show off his swords, they were one of his most prized possessions. Neither of them could replace Riptide but they came fairly damn close.

"Neat!" There was a fiery blur and suddenly Leo was there, peering at and examining the blades. "Imperial Gold and Stygian Iron, right?"

"Leo?" Jason yelped.

"In the flesh." Leo declared happily before looking up and staring at Percy. "You have some serious explaining to do."

"So do you." Percy retorted. "Came all this way to see you and you weren't even here when I arrived."

"I was hardly expecting you," Leo argued. "I nearly had a heart attack when the dolphin dumped me on the beach after giving me a lift back from the forge and I saw you with your dad."

"You told me that you were in New Zealand!" Jason protested loudly.

"I was." Leo shrugged before focusing his attention back on the swords. "Do these beautiful girls have names?"

"Maelstrom and Stormbringer," Percy responded. "Do you want some alone time with them or do you want to tell me what you've been doing for the last five years?"

"Do you want to tell me what you've been doing for the last five years?" Leo countered.

"Yes." Percy nodded.

"Oh." Leo looked taken back. "Honestly, I was expecting a no."

"I would have told you the first night we were here, if you had been here." Percy shrugged. "I told Nic, Thals and Grover. Just admitted who I was to my dad. And Jay."

"What's with the funky cape?" Leo asked. "Have you joined a cult? If you're in a cult, call your dad."

"I can assure you that I'm not in a cult." Percy drawled. "Are you?"

"Why would you think I'm in a cult?" Leo laughed. "If someone looked at the three of us, they'd totally say that you're the one in a cult."

"Can we please stop discussing cults?" Percy groaned. "Or at least take this somewhere else?"