34. Despite Popular Belief, Percy has a 'Plan'

After Nico had decided that he'd had enough time to process it, and also cry a little more, he decided that he wanted all of the people who would be on the Quest to know why he'd be out for Octavian's blood, quite literally. He just wanted to tell Apollo separately, knowing that the god wouldn't be able to sit there and pretend he was a random demigod if Nico and Percy were stood there explaining what Nathan had done with his son to bring back his Legacy. It wouldn't be fair to do that to him, not after the care and affection he'd shown Nico for the past few years.

"I'll tell him." Nico nodded, steeling his nerves and hoping that the twisting knot of his stomach would settle. "Just stay with me?" He asked Percy, biting his lip. He didn't want to have to face Apollo alone, knowing he couldn't solely handle the grief of the god.

"Of course I'll stay." Percy promised. "I'm going to follow you around just like Apollo does after he's caught you Shadow Travelling and you're going to be sick of me."

"I could never get sick of you." Nico informed him before reluctantly moving and standing up, knowing it was better to speak to Apollo sooner rather than later. "I'm going to drag Apollo up here if that's alright, I want to get it over with?"

"I can go if you want?" Percy offered, already moving. "I've been crying less and I've got the added bonus of being able to put my mask on."

"It's alright." Nico shook his head. "You stay here."

He headed for the door, opening it just as Apollo himself was about to knock.

"Hi Moonshine, just the person I was-" Apollo stopped, frowning when he saw the puffy, red eyes and the hint of tear tracks that Nico hadn't managed to wipe away properly. "Sweetheart, what's wrong?"

"I was coming to get you, I need to tell you what Percy has just told me." Nico pulled him into the room and shut the door behind them.

"That was quick." Percy provided a small laugh to cheer him up.

"Have you been crying too?" Apollo asked, alarmed. "Moonshine, Seashell, what's wrong with you two?"

"We've just had a very emotional chat." Percy spoke for him. "Nico wants to explain it to you."

"It's about Will, isn't it?" Apollo asked, fear flashing on his face.

"Apollo, let me explain." Nico raked a hand through his hair. "Because you're just going to freak out and I'm not emotionally stable enough to deal with that right now."

Percy watched on as Nico told Apollo what Percy had just told Nico, sitting back and letting Nico speak for himself aside from minor interjections when Nico had looked to him for help. Apollo remained silent the entire time, tears welling in his eyes the further into the explanation Nico got. The revelation that Nathan had a hand in Will's death shocked a sob from the god but it was the only noise he made until Nico told him that if Nathan's information was correct, that if they handed Octavian over to the Fates they would release Will back into the world of the living and they'd be reunited. That's when Apollo broke.

The god that Percy was so used to seeing present a picture-perfect image of himself was in tatters, illusion shattered. He knew that if anyone made a comment about the gods not caring for their kids, he would be haunted by the image of Apollo before him as a reminder of one who obviously does. It was almost somehow worse that Apollo was currently in the form of a teenager, unnerving in the sense that he could freely blend in with his children at that moment and nobody would assume that he was a god who had lived through so much loss.

He picked up the diary again to distract himself, allowing Nico and Apollo a moment of privacy without leaving the room. He'd made a motion to it once and Nico had just glared at him so he'd stayed put. He let it fall open, hoping to glean some more information - dyslexia permitting.