04: Red and White

I sat on the sofa in our unit's room and took out a large paper I took from my desk. Then,I started sketching a small map and labeled the names of places in the map I just drew.

"Two to two,one to one and one to one..."I said and sighed. "All that's left is the positioning. This is the only chance,Hatsuka and I can..."

"It's already so late in the night. You should rest more often,you know?"

I turned behind and a hand reached out to me. He patted my head and stoke my hair a little.

"I'm not a kid,Shoji."

"But,you looked so cute that I can't hold back,"he said and smile.

I looked at him with serious eyes and took his hand away from my head.

"What do you want to tell me?"I asked.

He looked back at me with sad eyes and grasped his hands together. By looking at his eyes,I knew that something he doesn't want to happen will happen. He probably saw the map I was drawing just now when he came in.

"Are we....going to war? With the white army?"

For a person like him,a question like that was expected. In every mission I went with my unit,Shoji was the only one who insisted on not taking anyone's life,even in a mission that needs to kill someone. He was always the one who never hunt down the enemy fatally. Being through that,I already knew that he doesn't like death. In fact,he probably fears death.

"It's not a war. It's just a battle."

"But,it still means the same,right?!"

I wasn't expecting him to raise his voice,since he had never done that before in front of any of us.

"What if our team die? What if you die?!"

"If you don't want to die,then quit the black army,and live your normal life with your family."

"No. If I quit now,it won't make any changes. "

I stood up and looked at him with sad eyes. He quickly avoided my eyes and frowned. Maybe I was a litte too hard on him. I'm sure everyone does not want to die. Yet,I said those words that could hurt him,in some way.

"If I die,will you.....cry for me?"

It didn't take long for him to give me a reply.

"Of course. If you'll ever die...I'll be sad."

"...Why?"

"It's beause I like you."

I was speechless. He was serious when he said that to me,when I was unprepared. I didn't want to give him a reply,but the words in my mouth just couldn't hold back. I was in love wih no one. I like no person. That has been the always me since I joined UNISIA. But,something changed me when I came here. Everyone did not treat me badly. Instead,they treated me like anyone else would. I like everyone,but...

"But,I..."

"We have to rise to top,if not,everyone in the black army will distrust us,and can even kill us."

"-!!!"

"What's wrong,Mitsuki?"

I don't time for this. Shoji is one of the Dusk Knights. If I let my guard down and believe him,I can get killed easily once he found out I'm a traitor. I have decided that...I should and only trust Irori in this army. I shouldn't be distracted by this type of problem.

"I...can't accept it."

He just smiled to me when I rejected him. What a strange man he is.

"As I expected,that answer you will give me."