09: Friend and Enemy

It has been a week since I left the army. Nothing really changed. It's just that UNISIA's activities were halted. Shiori always searched for me, trying to console me to return to the army. That wouldn't happen though.

I am now living in a rented house nearby the city area, which is always crowded and lively, especially during the night time. I've been spending the days after leaving the white army searching for a suitable part-time job, but I've yet to find one. The city is so busy, and there was less jobs to find.

While searching for a job, I studied some diseases regarding to coughing problems. It's because when everytime I talk to Shiori, she kept coughing and it seems very worse. I tried to ask her, but she said it was just a simple matter, not to be worried of. When I came to realize it, I started to worry about her health.

"Can we meet again?"

I sent the message I typed just now to her phone. I wished that she would agree to meet me, since I wanted to see her.

"Sure! Let's meet at the usual place! I'm so happy, Hatsuka."

"Thank you."

____________________________________

"How you've been doing?"

"I'm fine. UNISIA's still....okay?" I asked.

"....Don't worry! Shiena is running UNISIA well....I think."

Shiori didn't have confidence when answering my question. I bet UNISIA is almost done for, but......I'm too mean to think that it will end like this.

"It must be hard for Shiena. Suddenly taking a very heavy responsibility as the commander."

"Then, if you come back-"

"I'm sorry, but I can't."

She looked disappointed when I gave her that quick reply. The reason I wanted to meet her wasn't to ask her about UNISIA. So, I went straight to the point.

"Can you tell me? About your disease?" I lowered my head as I asked.

"........I don't have any disease. I think you're too worried about me. It's alright. You don't have to care about me, Hatsuka. It's....no use," she said as she tried to put up a smile in front of me.

"There's no way I would do that. You are my comrade, no, my friend. I can't just leave you be when you have a problem, just like how you treated me when I left the army. I'm indebted to you. So, let me help you, Shiori!" I held my hands against hers, gripping it tightly.

"Please, Shiori....Let me-"

"I....have no disease. It's just a cold."

She probably simply gave me a false excuse. It's sad to see her like this.

"It's almost winter now, isn't it? So it makes sense if I catch a cold like this."

Winter is still two months away. There's no way it was just a cold, but I didn't want to force her.

"I see....You're really okay, right?"

And so we seperated and did our respective work. I met her during her break time, so I couldn't talk to her for a longer time. I didn't want to burden her.

Not long after that, I went home.

_____________________________________

Time passed by fast, and it's already night. I went to a nearby bar to have some drink. The place is not too noisy, and it's suitable for me to relax there.