12: Fear

The light above me is so bright. A few people stood around me, looking onto the back of my neck.

"We are starting the operation. The success rate is 17.3%. Please be prepared for the risk."

"I understand. I'll leave it to you."

The blade cut through my neck, and pierced deep into it. It hurt like hell, and it was suffering. But, this was my choice. I'll bear it.

_____________________________________

"How did it go? Is your body feeling okay?"

Yusuke sat next to me near the hospital bed as he held my hand in both of his palms. He had persuaded the nurse in charge a lot of times just to be able to accompany me for the night. I told him not to, but he insisted to do so.

"Did anyone else besides me visited you?"he asked.

"No, I requested so that no one can come in. I don't want anyone to see me like this. I look so weak...."

"You have no choice, do you? Afterall, you nearly lost your memories. I....was so worried. I thought you would forget me...."

I held back his hand and smiled. "I'm here, right? Don't worry."

"That's true....You will recover soon, right? I'll wait until then."

"Thank you."

I'm sorry, Yusuke. I...can't let you know about my current condition. I'll tell you when the time comes. I'm so sorry.

The night came, and the hospital soon became silent. It was already midnight, but I just can't get to sleep. I can't close my eyes. Once I do that, I fear that I cannot wake up anymore.

But, Yusuke is by my side. His presence made me feel safe. Not safe, but I felt that I'm always protected by him. That made me feel very happy.

"Your sleeping face is a little funny..."

I was a little thirsty so I got off the bed and headed to the hallway. The hallway was quite dark, which actually made me feel a little unsecure.

"Out of water.....Where should I get it from?"

Clank!

I heard a sudden noise from the corner of the hallway. It was so dark, so I couldn't see the person who was standing over there. Whoever it was, he was walking towards me. It was clear that he's approaching me, with something in his hands.

"W-Who are you? Do I know you?" I asked as I walked backwards slowly.

"You don't remember me?"

I can see him now. He wore a dark, black robe and gloves. The way he dresses shows that he's not a patient here.

"I don't know you....If there's nothing else, I will-"

"What they did to you?! I'm your younger brother, don't you remember?!" He grasped onto my arm as he asked questions I could not answer.

"I don't have a brother. I think you've mistaken me as someone else. If you want help, you can ask the doctors or nurses....I don't think I can help you..."

"No, I've not mistaken. I know how my sister looks like!"

"I told you I don't have a brother..."

"The name's Arata. Arata Tenzuchi. Try to remember....!"

"I-If you continue to act like this, I'll call for help!"

He wasn't going to give up. Forcing me to remember won't change anything.