Chapter 3- The Secret Tree House

After school, I walked to the back of Andy's truck where I expected her to be so we could have our daily doses of cheeseburgers and milkshakes. Instead I find both Andy and Noah in her car and ready to go.

"Um, is there something Im missing?" I chuckled as I got into the backseat. Noah turned back and grinned at me, "Don't worry, she won't tell me either."

"I knew this day would come where both of my bestest friends in the whole wide world would meet each other and when that day came, I was going to take them to my very special place." Andy boldly stated. Noah chuckled from the front seat as I sat there ten time as confused as I had been last time. What really sucked about not knowing Andy before middle school was that he did. They whisper to each other about inside jokes and memories as I wash away into the car seat. I wouldn't say I was jealous. Just not to keen about it. Plus, which one would I even be jealous of, Andy or Noah? Is it possible that she had feelings for him? But Andy is gay. Isn't she? Wait, what am I saying? Of course she is. So why did they glance at each other so fondly?

"Why am I even worrying about this," I whispered to myself as I rubbed my eyes.

"Worried about what?" Andy asked me. I looked up to see her looking at me through the front view mirror. Oh shit, I said that out loud.

"Just worried about where you're taking me is all," I forced a grin. Noah turned to face me and looked right at me. I froze as he scanned both of my eyes.

"When I first saw you, your eyes were a hazel green," he commented, "and now they look more blue."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. He noticed that? Why did he notice that? "Um yeah," I said, snapping myself from the momentary daze, "my mother's eyes were the same way. She looked really beautiful when she was out in the sun and her eyes were more of blue."

He looked serious but thoughtful, "Oh. Your eyes are beautiful are either way." His genuine compliment took me by surprise. I didn't even have the certainty to say thank you, I just nodded.

"Nothing to worry about by the way," a grin flashed across his face again, "we're just going to the tree house."

Suddenly the car came to a stop and we were surrounded by tall trees. We drove into the woods and I didn't even notice. Andy laughed loudly and playfully punched Noah. "It was supposed to be a surprise Noah. Gosh you're so bad at keeping secrets."

"Not true," he defended, "I didn't tell her about the time you needed to pee so bad, you made me turn around as you peed in a juice bottle."

"Noah!" She shouted as she punched him again in the arm, a little harder this time. He laughed heartily as we all got out of the car. I caught eye of an old rope ladder laying against a tree. My eyes followed up the tree to find a small wooden fort hanging against every branch. Andy started to climb up the ragged ladder and pushed against the door on the bottom of the fort. It broke free and she shoved it to the side and climbed inside. Noah started to climb up the ladder himself when he looked back at me and smiled, "Come on, I want to show you something."

I smiled back and nodded before continuing behind him. Soon we were all in the tree house and examining the old toys and forgotten knick knacks Andy and Noah left behind from when they were kids. "Can't believe it's been years since we've both been in here." Andy reminisced. We both turned back to Noah to find him holding a rope that was connected to the ceiling. His eyes met mine and he grinned widely. "Watch this." He yanked the rope and soon the ceiling opened up in half and we were all staring at blue sky. In unison, Andy and Noah sprawled out against the floor and stared up a the sky. I stood there awkwardly before Noah grabbed the sleeve of my shirt and yanked me down beside him. 

"This used to be me and Andy's secret place," Noah whispered to me, "Whenever she couldn't stand being at her dad's, me and her walked all the way here to just look at the sky. Sometimes we stayed here all night." I understood what he meant. Andy used to stay at my house all the time. Sometimes even weeks at a time. She never wanted to go home. Until one time she came to my house crying, saying that she hated her father and she wanted him to go to hell. I never asked her what he did, all I did was take her to my room and hold her until she fell asleep. Maybe Noah knew.

"Your parents didn't wonder where you were?" I asked curiously. He shrugged slightly, "I guess they just always figured I was with Andy. Not that they've been wrong before."

"I swear the kid followed me around like a puppy," Andy laughed softly. "His parents loved me though. They treated me like I was apart of their family."

"Because you were," Noah replied and faced Andy, "you still are." They smiled at each other and suddenly I felt uncomfortable, like I was in the way of their moment. We all laid down on the dusty wooden floor and stared at what seemed like the most beautiful day to stare at the sky. Why didn't I do this more often? What was it about staring into nothingness made you feel and think about everything? All of a sudden, the sound of a distant phone ring filled the silence, sending me and Andy to sit upright.

"Crap that's Maya," Andy said and quickly made her way down the ladder, leaving me and Noah alone. I sat upright and crossed my legs together as Noah laid down again.

"It was nice meeting you Noah," I said politely to avoid another awkward tension. He looked at me and smiled genuinely. "It was nice meeting you too.. uh.. um.." his voice trailed off.

I chuckled, "Charlie Porter." I reached my hand out to him and he took it. His smile widened even more, "Charlie." He repeated to himself, "Of course it is." I laughed lightly. "Why haven't I ever met you before?"

I blushed deeply, "Um, I moved here in the beginning of middle school. My dad was a police officer and he moved stations here. That's when I met Andy."

"That's the year my mom and dad made me study abroad." he replied.

"How come?" I asked. "If you don't mind me asking.."

"Not not all," he assured, "Um well.. they didn't want to stay here after what happened in our family. Last year, my-"

"Charlie!" I heard Andy yell from below us. "We have to go Charlie, Maya is waiting for us!"

I sighed and started to make my way down the ladder except that Noah was still laying on the ground. "Come on Noah," I said to him.

He didn't take his eyes off of the sky as he spoke, "I think I'm gonna stay here for a while. You guys go ahead. I don't live too far away from here anyway." I waited for a moment longer before I nodded and climbed down the ladder. I got in the passenger's side when Andy stopped me, "What's taking Noah so long? Tell the boy to get down here, we gotta jet."

I shrugged, "He isn't coming I guess."

Her eyes widened a little, "Why not? What did he say?"

"He said that he wanted to stay there for a bit longer and for us to go ahead without him."

Her expression became more worried, "What were you guys talking about?"

I stared at her obliviously, "Nothing, I just asked him why he moved away-"

"And he told you?" She said in surprise. Her mouth dropped wide but I was still confused as to what the big deal was. Maybe he just wanted to be alone?

"Well, no," I murmured, "not before he was rudely interrupted by your screaming and yelling. Why? Is it bad?"

Relief washed over her as she nodded, "Yeah, it's probably a good idea if we let him stay here. He'll go home after he's done thinking about it."

"Thinking about what?" I asked curiously, "Why did he move away Andy?"

She shook her head to avoid the topic. It was obviously something bad if she, the biggest gossip I know, didn't wanna talk about it. "Another topic for another day. We gotta go meet Maya." I sighed and restlessly gave up. I'm not sure if I would want to hear it anyways if it wasn't coming from him. We drove out of the woods and farther away from the tree house. Farther away from the boy with the beautiful smile.

..

Madison Riley as Andrea a.k.a Andy Black.