Chapter 19- This Is Halloween

Charlie's POV.

Andy, Maya and I were upstairs in Noah's bathroom putting on last minute makeup. Andy put on a devilishly red lipstick to match her devil costume while Maya patted glitter on her eyelids to correspond with her angel costume. They weren't dating yet the way they acted around each other could make anyone think otherwise. I started to grow jealous when we heard a knock.
"It's Wes, open up," we heard him say. Maya opened the door and saw him stand in his Napoleon Dynamite costume.
"Hey you look great," I complimented him.
"Thanks," He said. He looked back at Maya. "Hey, I think I'm gonna dip from this party."
"So soon?" Maya asked. "But the party just started."
"And I haven't even made my big entrance yet!" Andy groaned as she plastered on eyeliner.
"I don't like this crowd," He said, "And I'm not much of a party person anyways, I don't wanna ruin your fun."
I sighed and took his hand, "Come on Wes, just stick by me tonight then. I don't drink and I don't socialize."
He chuckled and let me take him down the stairs and into the backyard. I held on to a cup of soda as Wes took out something of his pocket.
"I never leave the house without one of these" He said as he pulled out a blunt and a lighter. "Wanna smoke?"
"Uh I don't think so," I shook my head. "I don't like the affect it has on me. My mouth gets extremely dry and then I'm super hungry."
"Munchies," He sighed, "My favorite."
Just then, a familiar mad hatter and a blonde Alice walked into the backyard and to the ice chest.
"What the hell," I said taking the blunt and lighter from him. "If I'm not partying, then what am I doing here?" I lit the end and inhaled deep. I stifled a cough that wanted desperately to leave my mouth.
"Let me take it from here," he laughed as he took them back. He knew I didn't smoke much at all. That was more Andy's style.
I looked up and saw Noah walk towards us. He looked great in his costume.
"I see you got yourself a costume," He smiled at me. I looked down at my Red Riding Hood costume that Bailey had let me borrowed. Of course it looked kinda skimpy and I had to cover myself with the red cape, but it was either this or be Cleopatra for my third year.
"You like it?" I asked.
He nodded. "Yeah but I still kinda wish you would've let me buy you a costume."
I looked at him with my brows furrowed.
"It would have given me an excuse to spend more time with you," He smiled. There was so smirking or flirtatious undertone involved. He genuinely meant it. I never say stuff like this but in that moment, my heart truly fluttered.
"Anyways," he said as looked to me and Wes, "Enjoy the rest of your night guys. I'm glad you guys came."
I laughed lightly as he walked back to entertain Madison for the rest of the night. I took a drink of my soda and bit onto the cup to keep from screaming.
"He's really nice," Wes said as he took another hit and passed it to me. I sighed. Noah was nice. It made me even more frustrated to think that he only said that out of kindness. Was he flirting with me? Was he just being nice? Would I ever know?
..

It was midnight and the party was still raging. I was high as a friggin kite and me and Wes were taking Jell-O shots. I was having too much fun to stop. Wes and I kept cracking jokes while Andy and Maya made out in a room somewhere.
"So does Noah know you like him?" Wes asked. I laughed and shook my head.
"I don't like Noah like that."
"Oh really?" He smirked at me.
"Yeah, really."
"Didn't seem like it to me when you were talking to him."
"Yeah, well he's dating Madison so there's not really anything I could do about that."
Wesley's grin disappeared. "It kinda sucks."
"What does?"
"Nothing," He stammered, "It's just that she seems like such a bitch-"
"That's because she is." I laughed.
"Yeah I know but I don't think Noah really knows the real her."
I furrowed my brows. "The real her? Where is this coming from?"
He shook his head and continued to drink out of his cup. "I don't know, just a thought that crossed my mind. Maybe things will still happen for you and Noah if he got to know you better. Maybe he'd rethink things."
For some reason, I didn't like the way that sounded. I might have had a crush on Noah but why did I have to act on it? Things are going so well us being friends, why did I have to mess that up by just a silly crush? I lowered my head and drank the rest of the jungle juice in my cup. I was already buzzed and I wanted to go home before my dad conjured up a reason to stay up late and wait for me.
I looked throughout the house for Andy and realized she must be upstairs. The music quieted down as I walked up the stairs. I walked towards the guest room and heard Andy's and Maya's giggles from inside. I knocked on the door. "Hey Andy, do you think you'd be able to take me home?"
I heard stumbling footsteps before the door opened and Andy stood there with half her costume off. She laughed and shook her head, "I don't think so honey bean, I drank a little too much of Noah's mom's vodka that she keeps in her cupboard. I'm unstable if you ask me."
I groaned and stretched my neck over her shoulder to see Maya on the bed and tucked in the covers. She looked to be naked. "What about you Maya? Do you think you'd be able to give me a ride home?"
"Sorry Charlie, me and Wes got a ride from Andy. I told Georgia that I was staying the night at a friend's and Wes is walking back home."
"Ask Noah if he could give you a ride home," Any suggested, "He doesn't drink so I think that he'd be the best option to take you."
I frowned and realized that I would have to ask Noah. She closed the door and I slowly walked towards Noah's room on the right.
I slowly pressed my ear to the door and couldn't hear much. Maybe he wasn't in there. I put my hand on the doorknob and knocked on the door. "Hey Noah, do you think-" I accidentally put all my weight against the door as I swung it open. I almost tripped over myself and when I regained balance, saw Madison saddling him on the bed as he sat up, holding her wrists.
As soon as Noah saw me, he grabbed her by the waist and picked her off of him.
"Charlie!" He stood up.
"Don't you know what privacy is?" Madison barked at me. By her slurring and instability, she looked to be really drunk as well.
I looked at Noah pleadingly. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean-" I stepped back out into the hallway and shut the door behind me. I was already shooting down half the staircase before Noah ran after me. "Charlie, wait!"
I stopped in my tracks and looked back at him, "I'm so sorry Noah, I didn't know you were in there. I was just looking-"
"Stop apologizing." Noah reassured. "It's fine, really. In fact you actually kind of saved me."
"I was just looking for you."
"What is it?"
"I was wondering if you would take me home."
"You're not staying the night?" He asked. "But I thought Andy said you were."
I shook my head, "No, I haven't called my dad and asked yet."
"Well are you?"
"Um, I don't know.." I looked back towards Noah's door. "I don't think I should."
"It's fine Charlie, really." He said, "Plus, I don't think you should go home like this."
He did make a valid point. If I went home even slightly drunk, it would give my dad another reason to worry and stress. Especially so soon after Bailey's incarceration and my mom's wedding. I didn't want him to think he had to worry about me too.
"I don't even know where I would sleep." I said.
He smiled back at me and reached out his hand, "Come on, we have an extra room."
I shyly smiled before taking his hand and letting him lead me up the stairs. I didn't lose my balance as I pressed some of my weight against him. He walked me to the end of the hallway and opened the door.
The walls were blue and decorated with sports posters and the bed was made. The room already looked lived in. As if this was already somebody else's room.
"This was my brothers room," He said, confirming my guess.
"Are you sure if it's okay I sleep in here?" I said. For some reason, it creeped me out to sleep in a room that once belonged to someone.
"My parents never touched any of his stuff after he passed away," Noah remarked, "it's as if they keep this as their own personal shrine. Or maybe it's just too painful to come back in here." He closed his eyes and smelled the air. He only had a smile on his face. "It still smells like him."
I found courage to take his hand in mine. He looked at me with pleased surprise.
"I'm fine, really." He assured me. "It just feels nostalgic, that's all."
He walked over to the dresser and opened it. All of JJ's clothes were still there.
"Um, do you mind-" I interrupted him, "if I could maybe borrow someone else's clothes? I wouldn't feel right wearing his."
He laughed as he closed it, "I'm so sorry. I didn't even realize. I'll grab some from my room and I'll be right back."
He walked past me and I got a whiff of his cologne. I smiled when I knew he couldn't see me. I walked to the bed and sat down. I turned my head and saw a portrait of Noah and JJ together. They both looked so young, in their pre teen years. JJ was in his school football jersey as his arm was slung around Noah as Noah stood next to him proudly, a football cradled in his other arm. They both had boyishly charming smiles and locks of brown. They both looked so happy. I wonder what could have happened to make JJ take his own life. What could have been going on behind closed doors?
I heard a short knock and I turned around. Noah smiled as he gave me a pair of his sweats and a t-shirt.
"Thank you." I told him.
"Don't worry about it. I'll just close the door and let you get dressed."
"Thank you again Noah, I really appreciate it."
He smiled back at me, "No worries. I'll see you in the morning Charlie. Goodnight."
"Goodnight." And with that, he closed the door and I was by myself once again.