Chapter 8- What She Doesn't Know

Charlie's POV.

Andy resumed back to normal not long after the quarrel with Madison. However she didn't come to school at all today, leaving me in question. I texted her in between classes but all she said was Today is not a day for Andrea Black. A saying she says when something is truly getting to her. But as stubborn as she is, of course she wouldn't tell me what's going on.

I stayed after school for a while longer, lingering in the art room and testing out some new paints the school bought from the budget. I got myself a cup of water and already started to see if this paints were smooth enough for watercoloring. I was drawing outline of a woman's face when I heard someone come in.

"Hey!" Maya chimed. I smiled widely and greeted her. "Hey, what's up?"

"Oh nothing, just thought I'd take you up on that offer of coming over to the art room to hang out," She smiled.

I gladly welcomed her in and set up her up with some sharpened pencils and a sketch pad. She automatically started drawing as we talked.

"Have you heard anything from Andy?" She asked me.
I stiffened and shook my head. "Not much word from her," I said, "But I'm sure she'll come around. She wouldn't let Madison get that much of a rise out of her."
She nodded back assured, but not entirely convinced. "H-Has.. has she ever said anything about.." She paused, slightly embarassed, "You know, about me."
I laughed lightly, "She talks a great deal about you." Her face lit up.
"Really?"
"Oh yeah," I said, "She seems to be quite committed when it comes to pleasing you." And instantly I regretted what I said. The happiness that brightened on Maya's face was too much for my guilt.
"So do you think she would want to settle down any time soon?" She asked hopefully. Shit.
I sighed. I wasn't a good liar, not as good as Andy, and I didn't have the heart to beat around the bush with her. "Maya, I'm sure you're aware of the kind of person Andy is."
She nodded, "Yeah but I'm sure she'll change her mind. I mean, she can't stay single forever. A girl is oughta fall in love sooner or later, right? Andy couldn't hold off forever, could she?"
I remember in eight grade when the last dance of thee school year was coming up and she was asked by three boys. One of those boys were Travis Burrows, one of the cutest boys in our grade then. He was going to move away in the summer and all the girls hoped to be his last kiss before he left. So when he asked Andy to the dance, everyone was sure she was going to be the one he kissed. But Andy being Andy, didn't say yes. Not even till the last minute. She stood her ground and didn't go to the dance with anyone but yet danced with almost all the boys that caught her sight that night. Travis looked wounded but kissed another girl that night as well. Andy could have the weight of the world on her shoulders, but she wouldn't budge. If her mind was set, it was set. And she was set on being single and untied.
"Andy does have a tendency to be full of surprises," I half lie. I didn't even have the heart to crush her hopes.
"Could you just put it a good word for me anyways?" She asked. I nodded back sincerely. I could tell Maya liked her more than she let on. Maya was such a great girl, there was no wag Andy could just refuse her without some consideration. But the sinking feeling at the bottom of stomach knew otherwise. Yet I smiled at Maya as if it really was possible. I felt dirty and somewhat angry that Andy was leading her on. Maya didn't deserve it and we both knew it. But I understood that Andy was still trying to figure herself out. And figuring yourself out could take weeks, months, or years. Maybe even the rest of your life, learning yourself by one but at a time. And that is why I always stood by Andy, even when she sometimes made bad decisions. That's just a given when you're someone's bestfriend.