Chapter 11- Under Arrest

Charlie's POV Continued.

I stalked into the kitchen in my denim overalls. I grabbed a tomato, provolgne cheese and pastrami from the refridgerator and sourdough bread from the cabinet. I started slapping a sandwich together for Dad when the phone rang.

"I'll get it!" He shouted from upstairs. I whistled away as I prepared him a glass of ice and ginger ale and the sandwich on a plate. I carefully walked upstairs with the glass and plate in hand and entered his room. The first thing I noticed was the painting back again in his room. He didn't hang it back up, probably out of fear that I'd throw it out the window again, but it still stayed against his bed rest. I rolled my eyes and ignored it. He sat up in his bed, his handing rubbing his face and I instantly started to worry. I sat down the glass and plate.
"How could you be so irresponsible Bailey?" He sighed, "Okay I'm coming to get you."
I held my breath as he got off the phone. "Is she okay?" I asked.
He stood up and shook his head. "It seems as if you're sister can't stay out of trouble."
"What do you mean?"
"She got arrested."

It took us two hours to drive from Minnesota to the local Minneapolis police department where they held Bailey. Apparently Bailey was driving under the influence on school campus. Not only did she get her drivers license suspended for four months but she is also on academic suspension from her university along with a hefty fine to pay for the damaged pole on campus. Because my father knew one of the chiefs in charge, he got her out with a DUI and a fine without more jail time. My father drove back and insisted Bailey stay with us until she can not only pay for her fines, but talk to Mom as well. If our Mom requested a visit from Bailey after all this time, she knew the great seriousness she was in.

"This is unlike you Bailey!" Dad shouted in the car. "You've been doing great in school but now you come up with this! What's the matter with you!" My father hardly shouted, ever. He was as soft as a Teddy bear and seeing his claws finally come out, was rare. And quite damn scary when he needed to be.
Bailey has been quiet the entire ride.
"Driving under the influence? Could you be that irresponsible?" He said, "I've let you girls get away with so much but not this. You could of been hurt! You could of hurt someone else! But apparently you dont understand the gravity of the situation! Just wait until your mother-"

"Anna doesn't have a say in my punishment. She doesn't have a say in anything in my life anymore!" Bailey shot back. My hatred for my mother's absense was only politeness compared to Bailey. Bailey was the most upset about it when my parents divorced and she left. Bailey waited for a letter, a phonecall, an email from her for weeks. She was going to university within a few months but my mother only sent her along with a "Good luck." A message that was given from my father. Bailey cried the night before she left. Which only curled my anger further.
"Don't you dare call her that!" My dad spat, "She still might not be active in our lives, but that doesn't mean you could treat her like that!"
"It's been three years!" Her voice cracked, "It's been three years since the last time she's even called! And now she sends me a fucking wedding invitation-"
My pulse almost stops.
"Don't use that language in my car." He warned.
"What?" I said in a whisper. "What wedding invitation?"
Dad stops the car and I realized we were parked in front of our house.
"You didn't tell her did you?" Bailey scoffed. She turned around in her seat and looked right at me.
"Mom is getting married." She said with only venom in her voice. I tried to look for comfort in her eyes but all there was was anger. Which was more understandable than the sadness I felt.
"To who?" I croaked.
"Uncle Darren."Dad said. Tears prickled from my eyes. I felt like I was going to be sick. Uncle Darren was my father's bestfriend and former fellow officer. They've known each other since high school.
"Get out Bailey." He instructed quietly.
"Oh so now you're finally going to be the responsible father?"
"Get. Out."
She glared at him for a moment longer before exiting the car and slamming the door behind her. My father and I were left in silence.
"How long have you known?" I sobbed.
He looked down at his lap. "Two months."
"And you never told me?" The tears were streaming by now. I didn't feel so much anger, so much sadness and betrayal in my life. It hurt so much I felt like I couldn't quite breathe anymore.
"I didn't know how." He said. "I knew how much you despised your mother.. and I couldn't tell you because.. because you'd never forgive her." Even after everything she's done, my father was still worried about how we saw our mother. It angered me so much all I could do was cry.
"When is the wedding?" I asked but I didn't even want to know the answer. I didn't want to know that our mother was marrying someone else. Someone that wasn't my father.
"Next month."
"Oh God." I sobbed. I pressed my forhead against the back of the passenger seat. I could see from the corner of my eye, a silent tear fall from his face.
"I'm so sorry I never told you," He whispered, "I didn't know how to accept it myself either."
"Why do you still protect her?" I nearly shouted, "She's hurt you and she's hurt us. Why aren't you angry for what she did?"
"Because I still love her." He broke down right in front of my eyes. His body shook as violent tears fell down his cheeks. He tried to control himself but I wouldn't let him. I wrapped my arm around him and let him cry. No one should keep in that kind of pain.
"I love her too," I admitted, "But it's time to move on now. We all have to move on now. For my sake and yours and Bailey's. We can't just keep pushing it away. She's not coming back dad and you know it. I'm tired of pretending that she will.. I'm tired."
"I know," He said, "I am too."

..

Aimee Teegarden as Bailey Porter.