Chapter 2

Zeke

Awhile later, we pulled up to my new pack house. We passed a few men who were on patrol, and most of them looked shocked to see me. A few mothers even saw me and steered their children in the opposite direction. Needless to say, Nick didn't inform the pack who their new Beta is. "I can get a few warriors to bring your stuff in" Nick offered.

I quickly shook my head. "It's my stuff. I'll bring it in. Can you just show me where my room is first?" I asked. He nodded and walked into the pack house. There were a few teens in the front room and they literally stopped and stared. One guy had a piece of pizza dangling in front of his mouth like he was about to bite it before he saw me.

Nick didn't seem to see the change in atmosphere as he kept walking up to the staircase. "Well, there's a whole floor. Theo didn't have family living here. So you get to pick any room on this floor" he stated. I didn't know that they had remodeled the pack house. "The Alpha floor is the fourth floor. This is your floor, the third one. The second floor is like a hangout spot- mostly for the teenagers. It also has bedrooms. And the first floor has living rooms, offices, and the kitchen" Nick listed off.

Wow. They made major renovations. I nodded my head slowly. "Where do the pack members live?" I questioned. He didn't say that there was any rooms for the members.

"Well, most of them have their own houses. Then there's another pack house where the other members live" he stated. So, not only did they rebuild this house, but they built a completely new one. I guess it makes sense. After what happened in this house, I wouldn't want to live in it either. But the decorations that Caroline most likely picked out, made the pack house actually feel like a home. When I was a kid, it felt more like a prison.

*FLASHBACK*

"Zeke. Remember what I told you?" Piper asked softly. For a 13 year old, she was very wise. I nodded my head. "Okay. What did I tell you?" she inquired, wanting me to repeat it to make sure I actually knew.

She told me the same thing every single day before we got home. "Go straight to my room. Don't come out until you come to get me. And- um... And... I forgot" I mumbled the last part.

Piper placed her hands on my shoulders as she squatted down to my eight year old height. "Lock the door" she reminded me. I nodded my head in understanding. Piper smiled softly at me and ruffled up my hair.

We walked up to the door and Piper opened it quietly. We immediately heard the loud pounding of our father's feet on the hardwood floor. My sister quickly pushed me to my room, reminding me of what we just talked about. My little legs ran as fast as they could, knowing that Piper wanted me in my room before our dad got to her.

I got to my room and twisted the small knob, so it locked. I covered my ears, trying to block out all the sounds. But even through my fingers, I could hear all the profanities my father was yelling at Piper. This is how it was every day.

We got home, I went to my room. Piper stayed in the living room. Dad would yell. I would hear crashing and glass breaking. I stayed in my room through everything. Piper would clean up whatever mess was made. And then she would come and get me.

I wasn't naïve. I knew what my father did to her. I didn't know it in detail. But I knew he was hurting my sister. She had nightmares every night. She would cling onto me until I woke her up from her sweaty terror filled sleep. And it was all his fault.

For hours and hours, I heard more yelling. It was only my father yelling. Piper always stayed quiet except for the few screams and shrieks she would make during the beatings. I could hear the shattering of glass. The crashing of our furniture.