Chapter 24

Zeke

I pulled up to Stephanie and Roger's house. Before I even got out the car, the front door swung open and Valerie came out. Thinking something was wrong, I quickly hopped out the car. Surprisingly, she ran up to me and wrapped her arms around my neck. My arms wove around her waist. I couldn't stop myself from burying my face in her neck and taking a deep breath.

"I missed you" I muttered, squeezing her closer before softly setting her on the ground.

She grinned up at me. "I missed you too" She pecked my lips and grabbed my hand. Her hair whacked me in the face as she pulled me into the house. I swatted it away, making her laugh and stop moving. After we got in the house, she pulled her hair into a ponytail. "So, what are we doing today?" she wondered.

I acted like I didn't hear her as I walked deeper into the house. "Hey, Ashlyn. Leia" I greeted the girls as I walked into the dining room. "Did you do it?" I asked Ashlyn.

She made a face. "That sounds so wrong. But yeah. I did what we talked about" Ashlyn informed me. She pointed to one of the chairs. I walked over and grabbed the bag before taking Valerie's hand in mine. "Bye!" Ashlyn shouted as we walked out.

Valerie stumbled behind me as I dragged her out the house. "What's the bag for?" she questioned. Ignoring her again, I opened the passenger's door for her before going into the driver's seat. "Ignoring people is rude" she huffed.

After throwing the bag in the backseat, I leaned over the center console and kissed her cheek. "The bag is for you. And we're gonna go get food and stuff" I answered. She slowly nodded as I pulled away from the house. "Were your parents home?"

"No. They went on a walk" Valerie rested her head against the window. "What's in the bag?" she inquired. I smiled and leaned back to grab the bag. I placed it on her lap and she hesitantly opened it. "My clothes" she said slowly.

I nodded my head. "It's just a small portion of your clothes to keep in my room for now" A smile broke out on her face. "You can move more stuff if you want to. I just thought some clothes would be a good start" I stated.

She closed up the bag and threw it in the backseat. "I would hug you. But that's dangerous" she squealed. I chuckled and reached over to grab her hand. I rested our hands between us as she began fiddling with my fingers. "I will never get used to these spark things" she mumbled.

I nodded in agreement. "I heard they get even stronger after marking and mating" I informed her. Glancing at her, I saw a soft smile on her face as she stared at our hands. "Is there anything specific you wanna do today?" I questioned.

Valerie hummed as she thought. Her spine straightened as she thought of something. "Will you let me drive there?" she asked, giving me an angelic smile. I resisted and shook my head. "Please! You did all this surprise stuff for me. I promise I'll drive safe" she offered.

I slightly narrowed my eyes. "Can you even drive?" I blurted.

She nodded. "My dad taught me a couple years ago. I don't have all those permit things. But I know how to drive" she chirped. She pulled our adjoined hands closer to her body. "Please, Bubba" Valerie begged.

My resolve crumbled as I chuckled. "Fine. You can drive. But we're going after we go where I want to go" She quickly nodded in agreement. Valerie flipped on the radio, filling the car with some pop song. She was humming along for the rest of the ride. "We're here" I informed her as I parked.

Valerie looked at all the shops surrounding us. I got out with her following in suit. She grabbed my hand as I began walking. It felt like a normal thing to do. The sparks were still surprising, but our adjoined hands felt normal- like they belong together.