Chapter 32

Zeke

"Take Kenny out somewhere. I just want to be alone" Valerie requested in a soft voice. I took Kenny from her arms and looked at Valerie as she sat at the edge of the bed. "I want to be alone. Please, Zeke" she pleaded.

I nodded my head and grabbed my keys. "You can drive my car to the abandoned park. But be safe" I pressed a kiss to her forehead, placed the keys in her hand, and walked out with Kenny in my arms.

He gave Valerie a small wave as we walked out. Just before the door closed, I heard a sob escape Valerie's mouth. But I continued closing it and walking down the stairs. If she wanted to be alone, I would let her have her time. "I don't like those people, Bubba. They made Valley cry" Kenny mumbled with a frown on his face.

I gave him a sad smile and kissed his head. "You won't see those people anytime soon" I promised. Kenny nodded his little head while I brought him into Nick's office. "Valerie is upstairs. Can you tell me if she leaves?" Nick nodded his head, a concerned look on his face. "Her parents don't approve of-" I paused and just glanced at Kenny who was messing around with his Ninja Turtle toy.

Nick nodded in understanding. "Don't listen to them, Zeke. If they think that you two can't handle this, then they don't know you guys" he said sternly.

I thanked him, then walked out with Kenny. "Sam. Drive me and Kenny to the store" I demanded. He rolled his eyes and just tossed his keys at me before telling me to drive myself. I thanked him and put Kenny down so I could grab his booster seat. Kenny followed me out the house and to Sam's car. I opened the passenger's seat, but hesitated putting the booster seat in. The front seat would be dangerous for Kenny if we got in an accident. It's unlikely, but still possible. I closed the door and put the seat in the back. "Come on, Kenny" I picked him up and put him in his seat before buckling him up.

After adjusting Sm's stupid seat, I drove off. "Where are we going?" Kenny asked, staring at me in the rearview mirror.

I made a weird face at him, causing him to giggle. "We're gonna get you some more toys and new clothes" I informed him. He grinned at the mention of toys and let out a little cheer. I have to remember to buy him some soaps- those kid ones where it's not supposed to hurt if it's in your eyes. And he needs a smaller toothbrush. His own toothpaste too. He didn't like the minty one. Maybe I can buy him the bubble gum or cotton candy flavored ones. Those are sweet.

We arrived at the store, and I got out. When I opened the backseat, Kenny was attempting to unbuckle himself. "Just press the red button" I instructed. He unbuckled the seatbelt and stumbled out the car. I held his hand as we walked through the parking lot and into the building. "Get soaps first" I muttered to myself, knowing that I would probably forget if we shopped for clothes first. Nick mind-linked me to tell me that Valerie left in my car. I thanked him and forced myself not to worry about her. She's been to that park a lot. So she'll be fine.

I grabbed a cart and placed Kenny in the seat before rolling deeper into the store. I grabbed some soap, then moved onto the dental stuff. He picked out a superhero toothbrush and I grabbed the cotton candy toothpaste. We threw the items in the cart and went to the clothing section. I chewed on my lip, not knowing what size he is. Shrugging, I pulled him out of the cart and told him to grab anything he liked. The kid pointed out different shirts and I figured out that he was a small in youth sizes. We continued grabbing clothes until the cart was filled with pants, shorts, shirts, a few pair of shoes, jackets, underwear, and socks. I even got him a little Cookie Monster hat.

"Let's go get you some toys, now" Kenny grinned as I placed him back into the cart and pushed him off to the toy section. "You want some Barbies?" I wondered.